Valentine’s Day Math Project Based Learning Printable and Digital Activity
What educators are saying
Also included in
- What better way to celebrate the holidays than with project-based learning? PBL uses real-world based math problems to engage kids in learning. This project-based learning bundle gives students extra practice and review of essential math skills with fun holiday themes. Your students will love gettinPrice $40.00Original Price $50.00Save $10.00
They say all you need is love. And everyone loves cupcakes. So we created this fun Valentine’s Day resource to sprinkle your students with love. Our sweet Valentine Cupcakes project-based learning activity is so much fun your students won’t even realize all the math skills they are practicing. And there are a lot of them!
This activity includes counting, graphing, adding, multiplying, money, elapsed time, and fractions, all set in a fun and engaging real-world challenge as students use problem-solving skills to “bake” up a sweet treat for the entire class. No oven-use required.
Students are tasked with baking cupcakes for the class Valentine party. Yum! They must determine how many of each kind of cupcake to make, figure out the proper amount of each ingredient, calculate the cost to make the cupcakes, determine how long the baking project will take, and identify the fractions for each kind of cupcake.
This resource also includes multiple ways to differentiate the problem. It’s perfect for students in grades 2-5 at a variety of different levels. To make sure the activity appropriately challenges your students, you can:
- Pick from a pictograph or a bar graph activity
- Select from three different recipe cards with varying degrees of difficulty
- Choose whether or not your students use decimals when calculating costs
- Practice elapsed time with half-hour increments or more challenging times
- For an extra challenge, ask students to reduce fractions
This resource comes with both digital and printable versions, so you can use it in class and for distance learning!
To get this resource in a money-saving bundle, click the link below:
Holiday Project Based Learning Bundle
- Multiple levels of six different Valentine baking activities (from easy to more complex)
- Downloadable Google Slides for teachers to share with students
- Detailed instructions on how to convert Google Slides to PowerPoint
- An identical printable version of all student activities
- Teacher directions, including how to download the resource, how to use it online and in the classroom, and a thorough explanation of the options for differentiation.
How to use this resource:
Whether you are teaching in-person or online, there are several ways to use this resource. Detailed instructions for each activity and ways to differentiate are included:
- Assign the Google slides through Google Classroom and have students complete the activities independently.
- Transform the Google Slide into PowerPoint slides and share through platforms like Canvas, Schoology, and Teams.
- Use the digital version in classrooms with 1:1 technology.
- In-class, have students complete the activity individually, with partners, or in groups.
- Use during guided-math groups to provide extra support to students.
- Pick one version for your entire class, or choose different options based on individual skill level.
Time to Complete:
This activity should take between 60-90 minutes, depending on the age of your students and the level of difficulty you choose.
To take a closer look at this resource, click
Other resources you might like:
Winter Sports Project-Based Learning Activities
End of the Year & Last Week of School Carnival-Themed Activities
Halloween Math Project-Based Learning Activities
Thanksgiving Math Project Based Learning Printable and Digital Activity
St. Patrick's Day Math Project-Based Learning Activities
Easter Math Project-Based Learning Activities