PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Valentine’s Day Mini-Unit | Valentine’s Day Close Reading and Writing Activities
What better topic to teach during Valentine’s Day week than chocolate? Need a bit of substance to teach during the craziness of Valentine’s parties and activities? This mini-unit will provide your students with a history of chocolate while practicing guided close reading skills. It’s a perfect companion topic to teach during Valentine’s Day, winter or any time during the year. It includes original informational passages, structured close reading practices, writing response activities, a vocabulary booklet and more. More than enough resources to fill five days of lessons, if not more in your classroom.
Also included are printable Valentines Treat Bag Toppers for you and your students!
This resource was designed to be little to no-prep for you and works extremely well as an emergency sub plan resource. Simply copy enough pages for your class(s) and keep on hand with a copy of the included Teacher Notes. Perfect for days when you have to be out unexpectedly!
This resource on the History of Chocolate includes:
1. Resource notes and suggested teaching plan.
2. Three levels of an original passage on the History of Chocolate. Perfect for differentiating.
3. Close Reading Practice 1. These sheets have students practicing Informational Text Standards 1- 3, which focus on “Key Ideas and Details” in a text.
4. Close Reading Practice 2. These sheets have students practicing Informational Text Standards 4 - 6, which focus on an author’s use of “Craft and Structure.”
5. Close Reading Practice 3. These sheets have students practicing Informational Text Standards 7 - 9, which require “Integration of Knowledge and Ideas.”
6. Two Reading Response Prompts. Using what they’ve learned from the passage, students response to two directed questions.
7. Close Reading Thinkmarks. Copy and laminate for students to use all year long.
8. Writing Pages. Themed writing pages for use in reading responses, writing centers, and more.
9. Vocabulary Booklet. Words important to the text fill the pages of this booklet. Students write a sentence telling what they knew about the word before reading the passage, a sentence on what they’ve learned about the word, make connections to other words, and draw their idea of the word in the box.
10. Printable Valentines Treat Bag Toppers. 22 different Valentine Treat Bag Toppers to choose from. Can also be used as tabletop cards.
11. Answer Keys: pages 13 – 18.
Thanks for stopping by my store and taking a look! Please email me with any questions you have before purchasing. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to receive updates and discounts on newly listed products? Click the star by my name to follow my store. Subscribing to my newsletter will give you access to exclusive free resources, advance notice of special events, as well as occasional updates to posts and products. Subscribe
© 2015 Jennifer Martinez, everything just so. All rights reserved. License permits individual use in a single classroom only. To share with friends, please purchase additional licenses at a discounted price. No part of this work may be reproduced in any way or by any means without expressed written consent of the author. Thank you for helping to protect my work!