PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Valentine's Day is near, you still need rigorous math work, yet you'd like to get your students up and moving? Here's your solution! Give your students dozens of two-digit addition/subtraction equations to solve with the unknown number in all positions. Use these resource pages as stations, centers, task cards, scoot, daily warmups, or more!
This packet includes:
• ONE set of station numbers (12 numbers per set to be plugged into the 12 equations on each student page).
• THREE student pages: You will print the station numbers ONE time and be able to use them THREE times.
• Complete ANSWER KEYS for all student pages.
• TEACHER DIRECTIONS page to leave for a substitute – your math sub plans are written! ;)
Students will write each station number on the blank for that equation, then solve to find the value of the missing number. For example, for Set 1 station “A”, the station number is 12 and the equation in box A on page 1 reads “__ + ? = 81.” The child will write 12 on the blank so the equation reads “12 + ? = 81.” Next, the child will determine that the missing number is 69 (because 12 + 69 = 81) and will write “69” on the answer space.
Suggestions for use:
• Scoot: place a station number on each student’s desk, then have students “scoot” to the next desk at your signal, record that station number, and solve the equation.
• Walkabout: place station numbers in a path around the classroom. Give each student his/her own paper (or allow children to work with partners!) and visit the stations in any order.
• Condensed walkabout: save yourself the cutting! Place the five pages of station numbers in different places and allow students to collect all six numbers on each page at a time, then sit somewhere else to solve.
• Math center: again, no cutting necessary. Place the five pages of station numbers (in sheet protectors?) in your math center with copies of the student papers.
• On-screen warmups: this time, save yourself the printing, too! Display one page of station numbers on your smartboard each morning. Children will take out their math paper, record those six station numbers, and solve those equations as their warmup.
Answer keys are included! You can use these papers as practice, assessment, homework, etc. and grade them yourself. But you can also:
• Check answers orally as a class or in small groups and have children discuss/explain their responses;
• Have students check with a partner: “If you both have the same answer, it’s probably right. If your answers are different, you have to figure out what the correct answer is!”
• Leave the answer key in a designated place for students to check their own work.
This Valentine's Day resource is just like Missing Number Mysteries: Explorations in Algebra Level 2, Adding and Subtracting within 100. Also look for:
Or save with the bundles:
SECOND GRADE BUNDLE: Levels 1-3 (addition and subtraction)
For more two-digit addition and subtraction:
You might also like these word problem packets:
Want to save money on your TpT purchases? Leave feedback using your “My Purchases” page, earn credits, and apply those credits toward your next checkout!
Have questions? Please contact me at SecondGradeSuccessbyAmandaK@gmail.com about this resource or anything in my store!