Kids love this free Valentine's Day poetry activity! On a specially designed website, they watch two videos explaining how to write shape poetry. Then they explore two examples. Corresponding student sheets provide heart-shaped templates for planning and finalizing their own poems.
Do you want more? Check out the complete February ILM
for eight heart-related activities:
• Informational Text - Keeping Your Heart Healthy
• Language - Coordinating Conjunctions
• Listening - Taking Notes About the Heart
• Literature - The Queen of Hearts Inference Activities
• Math - Candy Heart Fractions
• Science - Anatomy and Heart Attacks
• Social Studies - The Economics of Candy Hearts
• Writing - Heart-Shaped Poetry
Created by master teacher Brenda Kovich
, these activities are classroom-tested and kid-approved. Check out the Independent Learning Module Bundle
, which includes all nine monthly ILMs at a discount price. Click here
to view all of them.
Teachers love ILMs! Read what they’ve had to say:
• To any potential customers, please know that these ILMs are just as perfect as can be for students. They cover a great deal of content in a rigorous way and are highly engaging for the students. I cannot recommend them enough. My students could hardly wait until they got this assignment each month. They actually cheered! As their teacher, I did too!
• I have been using them as an early finisher project for students who finish their writing and reading projects first, but they all love them so much that I have students begging to stay in at recess, at lunch, and at other “self selected” times.
• Added the link to my Google Classroom as an assignment, printed the packet, and we were rockin and rollin!”