Have you ever wondered why we celebrate Valentine’s Day? Who was Saint Valentine and why do we celebrate him on this special day? This unit will answer these questions and it will teach children about the legends of St. Valentine.
11 PRINTABLES with ANSWER KEYS
1. The Legend of St. Valentine: This is a 2 page reading on the story of St. Valentine.
2. Vocabulary Exercises (3 pages): Matching/ Fill In the Blanks/ and Correct the Sentences. These vocabulary exercises include words like priest, emperor, arrest, prison, legend, originate, witchcraft, execute, romantic, distinguish etc.
3. Sequence Strip Story: Students will cut apart the strips, put them in order and then paste them on a separate piece of paper. This may be challenging for some students. At first I let my students struggle for a few minutes and then I tell them that they can use the reading to help them. It is also beneficial to have them work together in pairs for this activity. The more advanced students can help the ones that need more help.
4. Making Information Question: WH Question Words
Students will make information questions using the WH Question Words (who, where, when, why, how, what etc.) Students will first read the answer to the question. The underlined word in the sentence will indicated which WH question word the students will need to use to write the correct question.
St. Valentine was born in Italy.
Students need to write the question “Where was St. Valentine born?”
5. Valentine’s Day Grammar Review with Idiom: Students will discover the hidden idiom by identifying different parts of speech (i.e. irregular plural nouns, adjectives, adverbs, regular past tense verbs, possessive pronouns, conjunctions and irregular past tense verbs.) After identifying the words according to their parts of speech, they will then follow the directions and color them accordingly. If students don’t have colored pencils they can cross out the words instead. The blocks that remain will reveal the idiom “Love is blind”. Finally, they need to write the meaning of the idiom.
6. Scrambled Words: Students will unscramble the Valentine’s Day words.
7. Valentine’s Day Fun Grammar Review: Students will write a noun, adjective and verb for each of the initial letters in the words “Valentine’s Day”.
8. Alphabetize and Find Word Search
Follow the link below for supplemental SMART Board product.
The Legend of St. Valentine SMART BOARD Sequencing Lesson
BUY THE BUNDLE & SAVE
Tags: Valentine's Day, valentine, Saint Valentine, St. Valentine, vocabulary, grammar, WH-Questions, information questions words, sequence strip story, put in order, retell the story, scrambled words, word fun, Valentine's day idiom, love idioms, love is blind