Valentine's Day STEM Challenge Bow and Arrow
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Oh my goodness, elementary students love Valentine's Day so much! Let's take advantage of that and stay engaged in learning at the same time. This trio of STEM Challenges is perfect for your class to stay busy and have some fun, too!Please note: This package contains three challenges. Each may be puPrice $8.50Original Price $10.50Save $2.00
- Are you looking for STEM Challenges that will fill your entire year? This seasonal bundle has it all! Perfect STEM Challenges for each month of the school year. This money-saving bundle will give you three challenges per month.This is all you will need to get started in STEM - with exciting, engaginPrice $75.00Original Price $105.00Save $30.00
Here’s another great challenge to add some Valentine’s Day exploration in your STEM class! This Bow and Arrow project presents students with many problems to solve. It also works well with two other STEM challenges for Valentine’s Day! Check the list below!
Note: This challenge is available in money-saving bundles.
What is the challenge?
In this challenge, students will use materials to make a bow and an arrow. They will have chances to practice with the bow and modify their design. Finally, they will compete against one another to hit a target. They will find that some of the materials create rather flimsy bows that will not withstand the pull-back and firing of the arrow. They will also have to make an arrow that will fit the bow frame they create. The most fun is learning how to use the device they build! There is definitely a learning curve to this! Just a note: We followed strict safety guidelines with this challenge. It was tested with fifth graders. This challenge is for upper elementary students!
NOTE: This challenge is pictured as a challenge for Valentine's Day. However, you can use this at any time of the year. We used a heart-shaped target for firing our arrows. IDEAS FOR TARGETS: Halloween ghost, Christmas cookie, winter snowflakes, spring flowers, summer firecrackers. Use the editable form to change the constraints and requirements and the possibilities are endless!
What is your prep?
You will need supplies in addition to this package. This includes: Straws, Craft sticks, Rubber bands, Paper clips, Cotton swabs, Construction paper, and
The package specifically includes:
- Teacher background
- Materials and preparation page
- 5 pages of teacher directions
- Constraints list in 2 sizes
- Safety rules for using the bow and arrow
- 4 pages of photographs
- Student lab sheet
- Scoring rubric
- Special photo page for setting up your target contest
- An idea page and generic forms for using this challenge at any time of year are included.
- All forms are in an editable format.
- Student answer sheets are not included, but samples from student work are included in the teacher direction pages. The page count listed for this package includes everything.
This challenge will need 1 class session to complete. We completed it in one hour.
You might also enjoy these Valentine's Day Resources:
- Valentine's Day Puzzle Pack Grades 3-5
- Valentine's Day Escape Room (locks and boxes)
- Escape the Candy Factory (no locks)
- STEM Challenge Candy Box
- STEM Challenge Zip Line
- Valentine's Day STEM Challenges Bundle
- Valentine's Day Print and Read
- Valentine's Day Printable and Digital Reading
- Valentine Math Print and Solve Gr. 3
- Valentine Math Print and Solve Gr. 4
- Valentine Math Print and Solve Gr. 5
- Valentine's Day Boom Cards
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
Click here to follow my store. It’s that easy to receive email updates about Teachers Are Terrific!
Thank you so much,
Teachers Really are Terrific!