Looking for some Valentine’s Day activities that your students will love, but are more than just a craft or activity to pass the time? Valentine’s STEM Challenges (or STEAM Challenges) engage your students in brain-busting work disguised as fun!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build various Valentine’s themed items using science, technology, engineering, and math skills to complete the tasks and extensions. Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8.
This bundle includes five challenges at a ~40% discount!
Cards in the Clouds
Note: This is the digital/paperless version. If you are prefer to print, you will want to check out the PRINTABLE VERSION instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above or by clicking through on its page in the downloadable preview.
• Overall STEM Tips
- Suggestions on timing and whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker handout
Plus, each challenge comes with:
• NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
• Teacher Tips
- Links to STEM Challenge How-to Videos
- Links to individual challenge walk-throughs
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Universal STEM Challenge Tips/how to use the design analysis slides
• Student Slides
- Criteria and Constraints list
- Results and Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions
• Extension templates
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
- Plus, other design-specific slides
The preview shows an overview of what is included in each challenge. You can find more details by clicking anywhere on the individual challenge pages. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Benefits of STEM Design Challenges:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for approximately 60 – 90 min. Again, I recommend working on STEM Design Challenges in multiple iterations to get the full value.
What do teachers have to say about this resource?
Note: Comments taken from the print version.
“Love! Well laid out. Enough wiggle room to adapt to different age groups.”
“As usual this seller does not disappoint! My Gifted & talented groups absolutely love her STEM projects as we have done numerous ones I purchased this year from her! So well organized, so well thought out and the extensions are awesome! I also love the videos I can really see how it will all play out when I do the STEM with my students. Thank you so much1 I am buying the St Patrick's bundle today!!”
“We can't wait to use this product. It is definitely worth the money. A lot of work went in to making this product. Thank you!!!”
“Very easy to use with clear directions and materials list. The kids are always engaged!”
“Love this! Super creative, fun, & great for critical thinking. Nice ideas for including other subject areas too. Thanks!”
“I can't wait to use this in my classroom! I have your October, November and December STEM Project and I love them! My students love them! Thank you for sharing your work!”
You might also like these resources:
STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE
Getting Started with STEM Challenges FREEBIE
Christmas-Winter STEM Bundle
Thanksgiving STEM Bundle
Halloween STEM Bundle
Back-to-School STEM Bundle
Analyze and Interpret Data Unit