My Dear Sarah, a Love Letter from the Battle of Bull Run
One week before the battle of Bull Run in the American Civil War, Sullivan Ballou; a Major in the 2nd Rhode Island Volunteers; wrote this touching and deeply moving love letter to his wife, Sarah, in Smithfield, Rhode Island. A week later, Major Ballou was killed in action during the first assault of this battle.
This lesson packet is based on that letter and contains
1. A reading comprehension questions and figurative language activity related to this touching love letter with an answer sheet.
2. A vocabulary activity called, "Word Detective." where students act as vocabulary detectives as they try and determine the meaning of new words. First they will use contextual clues to guess the meaning of new words from how they are used in passages from the story. Then they will use a thesaurus or dictionary to check comprehension, find synonyms, and determine parts of speech for each word. Answer sheet is included.
3. A follow-up writing activity with a suggested letter writing rubrics.
4. A follow-up role-play activity
5. The letter from Major Ballou
Your students will be deeply moved by this letter and motivated by have fun doing the related activities.