Valentine's Day Unit & Activities for High School DIGITAL and PRINT
Also included in
- This February Reading & Writing Activities Bundle for your middle school students includes our THREE February/Valentine's Day resources (and will be updated with any future February resources we create)! This bundle will save you 25%! Includes over 120 pages of content for your classroom! FEBRPrice $18.00Original Price $30.50Save $12.50
- This year-long reading and writing bundle includes 24 RESOURCES/ACTIVITIES - THAT'S OVER 500+ PAGES of quality, engaging reading and writing content that incorporates all of the big holidays! This bundle will take you from August/September all the way through to May/June!!WHEN YOU PURCHASE THIS BUNDPrice $72.00Original Price $129.25Save $57.25
- These Nine Short Stories included in this bundle are perfect for your middle school classroom! Incorporating more short stories into your curriculum can result in higher student engagement, increased proficiency in citing and justifying textual evidence, and more complex analysis just to name a few!Price $41.60Original Price $67.75Save $26.15
This Digital and Print Valentine's Day Unit and Activities for middle school and high school is focused on a study of the short story "The Chaser" by John Collier. This engaging short story unit can be used any time of the year, but it will be a great addition to your February/Valentine's Day curriculum.
Students will do a close reading of "The Chaser" by John Collier (text of short story is NOT included in this resource), answer critical thinking questions (as a Socratic Seminar, with partners, creating a visual to present to the class on an assignment question, etc.), complete a text-dependent Response to Literature prompt, and have the opportunity for some creating writing - advice to a soon-to-be married couple! This unit is sure to spark some lively discussions and have students engaged in higher-level thinking and writing skills!
INCLUDED IN THIS UNIT:
- Instructions for Use: Detailed instructions to help you implement this unit effectively and seamlessly in your classroom.
- Vocabulary Activity: Students complete a vocabulary activity prior to their reading that is focused on 12 higher-level academic words that are found in the short story.
- 8 Task Cards/Discussion Questions: Discussion cards can be used individually, in partners, in small groups, as Socratic Seminar questions - however you see fit in your classroom.
- Theme Activity: Students focus on four topics that appear in the short story and are asked to write their own one-sentence theme that includes that topic. Students also include evidence from the text to support their choice as well as justify their reasoning.
- Ten Word Story Activity: Working with word choice, students analyze a provided ten word story and discuss interpretations as a class. Then students create their own ten word story that is centered around a theme found in "The Chaser."
- Response to Literature Questions: Two Response to Literature questions included for you to use as a final persuasive essay assessment.
- Evidence Tracker: We've included our best-selling Evidence Tracker to help your students gather evidence from the short story in order to help them prepare to write their final Response to Literature essay.
- Essay Graphic Organizer: A complete, detailed essay graphic organizer that includes a detailed overview of each aspect of a persuasive essay and all elements of an introductory paragraph, body paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph.
- Persuasive Essay Rubric: A rubric to help you grade more quickly and easily!
- Love Advice Extension Activity: This activity can be used as an extension activity for a creative writing assignment.
**PLEASE NOTE: Due to copyright law, this resource DOES NOT include a copy of the text of the short story.
OTHER RESOURCES YOU WILL LIKE: