Valentine's Day Vocabulary Boom Cards™ (Distance Learning)
- Internet Activities
What educators are saying
This Boom Learning℠ resource with 21 digital task cards helps students learn vocabulary words about Valentine’s Day. The first card in the deck states the instructions and also includes a word bank with 20 target vocab words. On each of the rest of the cards, there is a definition and then students select the word that matches the definition by clicking on the correct word from a list or typing the correct word in a box. Students read the text and they can also click on the audio symbol to hear the directions and words in the word bank, plus all the definitions on the cards, read aloud.
✓ Please note:
* To use Boom Cards™, you must be connected to the Internet. Boom Cards play on modern browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge). Apps are available for Android, iPads, iPhones, and Kindle Fires. For security and privacy, adults must have a Boom Learning account to use and assign Boom Cards. You will be able to assign the Boom Cards you are buying with "Fast Pins," (play provides instant feedback for self-grading Boom Cards). Fast Play is always a free way for students to engage with Boom Cards decks. For additional assignment options you'll need a premium account. If you are new to Boom Learning, you will be offered a free trial of our premium account. Read here for details: http://bit.ly/BoomTrial.
* When you purchase and download this resource, you’ll receive a PDF file with instructions on how to access the Boom Cards. The actual cards are not included in the PDF file.
The cards have 4 types of multiple choice and fill in the blank responses, with 5 cards in each set:
a) Cards 2 - 6: Multiple choice with 4 possible answers
b) Cards 7 - 11: Multiple choice with 2 possible answers
c) Cards 12 - 16: Fill in the blank with the correct word; these cards provide a picture as a clue
d) Cards 17 - 21: Multiple choice with 3 possible answers
This resource is aimed at English Language Learners with a lower intermediate level of language proficiency or higher. Other students may also enjoy it.
FYI: You may want to tell your students that the word “bow” has multiple meanings and can be pronounced in 2 ways, to help ELLs and other students develop their vocabulary. Before or after using this deck, you can have your students research St. Valentine and write a paragraph or composition about him and/or write a description of Valentine’s Day, using several of these vocabulary words, to extend students’ learning and give them practice using these words.
* They exist only online: You’ll save paper because you don’t need to print them.
* They are visually appealing: Since they are digital, they are in color and you don’t have to worry about using up printer ink.
* They are low-prep: You’ll save time because students just need an internet connection and a device to use them.
* They are self-grading: You’ll save time assessing students’ work because the cards automatically indicate right and wrong responses.
* They are interactive: Students must engage with the cards in a game-like manner, which helps keep them motivated.
* They are self-checking: Students will immediately find out if their answers are correct or incorrect.
* They can be used as a whole class activity on an interactive whiteboard or individually if students all have a device.
* Use on computers, tablets, and smartphones: Offers greater access if you don’t have enough computers for every student; it also means they can be used at home as long as students have access to a smartphone.
* You can assign Boom Cards with Google Classroom™.
* Depending on the type of your Boom Learning account, you can get reports that track how your students did when they use decks
What you get in this product:
★ Cover (1 page)
★ A table of contents & list of ELA CCSS addressed for quick reference (1 page)
★ A Notes to the Teacher section with background information & link to the resource on the Boom Learning site (2 pages)
★ Descriptions of the 4 types of cards in this deck (4 pages)
★ Copyright, social media & credits information (1 page)
★ Directions to students and the list of target vocabulary words (1 card)
★ 20 cards for students to match definitions with the target vocab words (20 cards)
You might also like these products:
★ Valentine’s Day Word Search & Crossword Puzzles: Print & Paperless Versions
★ Presidents’ Day Word Search & Crossword Puzzles: Print & Paperless Versions
★ American Holiday Posters for January & February in Acrostic Poem Format
★ Mother’s Day Vocabulary Boom Cards™ (Distance Learning)
★ Father’s Day Vocabulary Boom Cards™ (Distance Learning)
If you would like to receive updates about my new products, please click HERE or on the green star under my store name at the top of your screen.
You can earn TpT credits that reduce the cost of your future purchases by giving feedback about this product. Just click on the "Comments & Ratings" tab after downloading to leave a comment and a rating. It's that easy!
Thank you and happy teaching!
Boom Learning and Boom Cards are the trademarks of Boom Learning Inc. Used with permission.
Common Core Standards © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved. Any claims of correlation or alignment to the CCSS Standards are solely those of The ESL Nexus and have not been evaluated or endorsed by the NGA. The ESL Nexus is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with the creators of the CCSS standards.