Have you ever wondered why we celebrate Valentine’s Day? Who was Saint Valentine and why do we celebrate him on this special day? Where did the tradition of sending Valentine’s Day cards originate? This easy reader will allow your students to find the answers to these questions.
This lesson includes:
1. The Legend of St. Valentine Easy Reader (8 pages)
2. The Legend of St. Valentine Easy Reader with Cloze Exercise. This version of the book has words missing on each page. The teacher can read it and the students need to fill in the blanks
3. Comprehension Questions: Includes questions about the setting, main characters etc.
4. Easy Reader Scavenger Hunt: This is a different twist on a scavenger hunt. Students will read questions and hunt for the answers in the easy reader. They will be asked to look for nouns, adjectives, verbs etc. Then, they will continue to follow the directions and color their answers accordingly.
Teacher note: They will be instructed to look for how to say “My name is” in Italian. Because St. Valentine was from Italy I wrote a few words in Italian just for fun.
5. Alphabetize and Find Word Search Puzzle: All the words are from the story. The puzzle includes words like legend, emperor, blind, prison etc.
Tags: St. Valentine, Valentine’s Day, emergent reader, easy reader, beginning reader, legend, grammar, word search, cloze exercise
Graphics provided by: