This meaningful, easy and inexpensive student-made gift will give families and students a fun way to connect throughout the year! Some families make a tradition of opening their memory holder on Valentine’s Day and reminiscing after a year of filling it with memories. The holder can be as simple as you desire; even a paper bag can work in a pinch. Here are some helpful hints that I’ve learned from experience!
Prepare materials needed for this project:
- One container per student (jar, can, box, or paper bag)
- Cardstock or paper to print memory cards (2 pgs per student) and prompts (1 pg per student)
- Plain paper to print family letter (1 page per student)
- Cardstock or plain paper to print container labels (6 labels per page)
- Cardstock or plain paper to print gift tags (9 tags per page)
- Craft supplies to decorate containers (paint, tissue paper, yarn, markers, etc)
- Gift wrap (tissue paper, butcher paper, or paper bag)
NOTE: Allow extra materials for students with divorced families to make multiple gifts.
Containers - empty and clean
- Glass jar such as a mason jar or one that held spaghetti sauce/salsa
- Coffee can or oatmeal can/box
- Shoe box or cracker box
- Paper bag such as a lunch bag or gift bag
Decoration - on the outside of the container
- Glue small tissue paper squares/magazine pictures as a collage or
- Glue student drawing or
- Wrap fabric and ribbon or
- Paint surface with tempera/acrylic/glass paint
Container Label - provided in this pack or have students make their own
- Glue to front of container or
- Glue to lid or
- Hang as a tag from a string/ribbon
Memory Cards and Prompts
- Print on cardstock or plain paper for families to write on
- Cut out and place these blank cards inside of memory holder
- Include 2 pages of memory cards (1 for each month) and 1 page of prompts
- Sign your (teacher) name to the family letter, then gently roll and place it in the container with the memory cards..
- Wrap container in tissue paper, student-decorated butcher paper or a gift bag.
- Have students fill out gift tags and attach to outside of package.