In this interactive game, students compete in teams to fulfill shopping lists and sell items.
Students will learn and practice Spanish vocabulary concerning clothing, school supplies, and shopping.
Preparation: 25 minutes
Pre-game worksheet: 15-30 minutes
1 Round: 10 – 15 minutes
Number of Students
16 – 24 (using all 8 items)
Add or subtract items for different class sizes.
• Item cards (4 x 8 items)
• Money cards (18 x $5 and 18 x $10)
• 8 shopping lists
• Pre-game worksheet
• Cardstock or Paper
1. Print and cut out items, money, and shopping lists. Use blank cards to add items for larger classes.
2. Split the class into eight teams. Each team should consist of 2-3 students.
3. Give each team
• 4 item cards (to stock the team’s store)
• 2 $10 bills
• 2 $5 bills
• 1 Shopping List
4. Each team should select one shopper. The other student(s) will work in the store.
5. Explain the following rules.
• To win, a team must sell all four of its items and complete its shopping list.
• A team may not use the items in its store to fulfill its list.
• At the beginning, each team must leave two $5 bills in the store to make change.
• A shopper can only buy one item from another team at time. To buy a second item from the same team, he or she must look elsewhere and then return.
• If a shopper runs out of money, he or she may return to his or her team’s store and take the money made from sales.
• Students may only speak Spanish. (Consider a five dollar fine for speaking English).
6. Shoppers are released to roam the room and fulfill their lists.
7. The game may end after the first team finishes or after all teams have finished.
8. To play again, reshuffle and deal the item cards and shopping lists. Redistribute the money.