This updated activity, created by Heather Bates, SLP was designed to help improve your students understanding and use of verb tensing. In particular future tense (will), present progressive (-ing), and regular past tense (-ed) verbs are targeted with this activity. Included with the set are:
1. Directions on how to play the game
2. 3 Sounds of _ed Posters
3. 36 Verb Cards
4. 10 posters showing future, progressive, and regular past tense verbs (3 of each). Plus one poster for irregular past tense verbs.
5. Verb Tensing Charts for students to complete to work on writing various verb tenses.
These activities are highly engaging and your students will love the interactiveness of them. This activity directly targets the common core standard of verb tensing. Your students will love the graphics from www.mycutegraphics.com.
HOW TO PLAY THE GAME:
1. Copy and laminate the posters, 3 sounds of _ed cards, and the verb cards.
2. Discuss the posters and how verbs change depending on when the action occurs.
3. Hand out the 3 sounds of _ed cards and a token (bingo chip, Skittle, M&M).
4. Discuss how regular past tense verbs end in one of three sounds (/t/, /d/, or /id/) even though when you spell and write the word you see _ed.
5. Put the verb cards in a bag and have a student pull out a card.
He/she must tell the future tense of the verb (I will jump.), the present progressive tense of the verb while they are completing the action (I am jumping,) and then the past tense of the verb when they have completed the activity(I jumped.).
6. Then have the rest of the student put their token in the box that corresponds with the sound (/t/, /d/, /id/they heard at the end of the past tense verb. Show how the word will look if they see it in print.
7. After each one or every couple are completed your students may eat the token (if it is edible).
Also included in this updated version are verb charts for you students to complete to practice writing the different verb tenses targeted (also included are irregular verbs).