This lesson focuses on an introduction to vertebrates. It includes: a SMARTBoard presentation of the text emphasizing how vertebrates are grouped based on anatomical characteristics.
The presentation includes:
• Introduction/explanation of the 7 groups of vertebrates (cartilaginous fish, bony fish, jawless fish, reptiles, amphibians, birds, and mammals).
• Vocabulary vertebrate, warm-blooded, cold-blooded, reptile, amphibian, bird, and mammal).
• Explanation of the characteristics of each vertebrate group.
There are three interactive SMARTBoard activities that are included in the presentation. These activities are also included in PDF files to print out and issue as classwork or homework.
• Activity one has students moving 7 pictures of vertebrate examples, name of vertebrate group, along with moving the description of each invertebrate into matching groups.
• Activity two has students comparing/contrasting amphibians and reptiles using a Venn diagram.
• Activity three has students comparing/contrasting the 3 groups of fish using a Venn diagram