This math game will help your students practice the math addition strategy of doubles +1 also known as near doubles.
Doubles + 1 or Near Doubles is a math strategy that builds upon the students proficiency at doubling and 'near numbers' (+1). Its purpose is to train students to see questions such as 7+8 and mentally break it down to 7+7+1.
In this game, players practice the skills required to become proficient at doubles plus one or near doubles. To do this they take turns rolling a die. They must then double the number they roll, add one more to it, and place a chip on the answer. The first player to cover all their numbers is the winner. If time runs out, whoever has the most numbers covered wins.
This game would make a great extension activity or center game. You could even send copies home for students to play with their families.
This set contains three versions of the game:
1) Game boards going to 6+6+1 (or 6+7) which can be played using a standard 6-sided die.
2) Game boards going to 9+9+1 (or 9+10) which can be played using a 10-sided die.
2) Game boards going to 12+12+1 (or 12+13) which requires the use of a 12-sided die.
Having three different versions of the game board allows for differing mathematical ability levels to compete at the same game.
Additional materials needed to play:
- a die
- markers (such as pennies or beans)
Please visit my store for more fun primary mathematics activities with a focus on place value, addition, & subtraction.
Veterans Day Games are available for the following addition strategies:
- Plus One
- Plus Two
- Plus Three
- Rainbow 10s (numbers that add up to 10)
- Adding 0 & 10
- Doubles (6+6)
- Doubles + 1 (6+7 = 6+6+1)
- Adding 9
- Adding 8
For just $5.00 you can download the bundle that contains all the strategies!
* Be sure to hit the 'follow me' button to keep up to date on all my exciting upcoming releases.