Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Veterans Day Unit integrated with the ELA skills of opinion writing, close reading, summarizing and inferring. The activities are rigorous, but yet engaging. The teacher will love the ELA skills used and the students will enjoy the fun activities. It is a win-win unit.
Veterans Day Unit includes:
- 2 non-fiction passages about Veterans Day and 5 Branches of the Military
- Veterans Day Opinion Writing Essay with rubric
- Close Read with Annotations
- Anticipation Guide
- 3-2-1 Reading Strategy Printout
- 3 Ring Venn Diagram “military themed” graphic organizer
- Annotation codes and rubric
- Pros and Cons t-chart
- Prewriting graphic organizer for opinion writing
- Veterans Day Themed journal paper to write essay on
Purpose of Unit
We created this unit because teachers want to teach Veterans Day in the upper elementary but time is so limited. With this unit teachers can meet the demands of CCSS and have fun with teaching about this holiday and facts about the armed forces. A lot of Veterans Day material is geared towards the younger grades with crafts, but this is full of rigor and higher-order thinking skills that the teacher will not feel like he/she has lost any valuable teaching time. This mini-unit integrates literacy skills with social studies. It can be used for 3-5 days of instruction and has lesson plans ready to go!
There are 4 different lessons that have the following included in this mini-unit:
• Enduring Understandings
• Essential Questions
• Skills/Learning Goals
• Formative Assessments
• YouTube links for songs that teach on Veterans Day