This video introduces a basic conversation using da-re and nan(i) including:
- Da-re desu ka? (= Who is it?)
- Nan desu ka? (= What is it?)
- Itsu desu ka? (= When is it?)
- Doko desu ka? (= Where is it?)
(1) Showing this video to students
(2) Each student finds a partner.
(3) Student A asks, "Da-re desu ka?"
(4) Student B answers, "Mr Bean desu." (The student can say someone famous followed by "desu")
(5) They need to clap their hands between question and answer.
(6) If student B makes a mistake (e.g., forget "desu"), stop and swap. And then student B asks, "Da-re desu ka?" and student A answers.
They could ask "Nan desu ka?" and they could answer "food" or "drink" or "colour" etc depending on what they are learning.
They could ask "Itsu desu ka?" and they could answer "holidays" or "months" etc depending on what they are learning.
They could ask "Doko desu ka?" and they could answer "Japanese towns" or "public places (e.g., gakkou)" etc depending on what they are learning.
If they get used to each of those 4 questions, they can use those 4 questions together in their game.
This game works! I use this game from prep to year 5 and they really enjoy it!