This literacy module, anchored by a 700 word country profile of Vietnam, consists of a number of activities designed to improve reading comprehension, geography, history, spelling, and vocabulary, in addition to research and writing skills.
The pack consists of:
1. Vietnam - a factual reading text. 700 words detailing location, size, climate, capital city, flag, history, languages, culture and economy.
2. Multiple Choice Quiz based on the text (20 questions). This is the simplest task and is designed for the weakest students.
3. Questions based on the text (15). These are fact finding low order questions. Their function is to ensure understanding of the text.
4. Punctuation Exercise. A short text which needs to be edited for grammar and punctuation by students.
5. Vocabulary tasks. Match words to descriptions. This uses words highlighted in the original reading passage.
6. Writing activities. These are higher order activities. Use to challenge students to write in different styles. Two ideas for research/presentation projects are included.
7. Vocabulary Word Search.
8. Crossword Puzzle. I use these puzzle activities (7 & 8) with early finishers.
There are 12 pages of activities for students. I'm selling this as a Word document, so that it can be edited. This is a good unit to give to a sub teacher if you are going to be absent for a few days.
I developed it initially as a unit to complement a poetry unit based on the poem But You Didn't by Merrill Glass.
Solutions to all of the activities, excluding the writing tasks, are included.