This resource is included in a bundle!
Student ♥ Engagement Bundle of Language Arts Lessons for Middle and High School
This is one of those lessons that will not only hook and engage teens, but lessons they find meaningful, memorable, and that spark deeper issues that they love to think about.
After you've read through the material, you will see that this lesson could last anywhere from 1 1/2 class periods to 3. Then it should be one of those examples that you come back to as you scaffold students into further complexities.
And - this is one of my most popular lessons of all time! Kids talk about this lesson for years, literally - and about being introduced to the band Coldplay in my class. Not only is it popular, but it is a great way to hook students on poetry lessons - and an excellent tool for applying the concepts.
This 15-page packet includes step-by-step instructions for teachers on teaching the lesson as well as a detailed analysis handout and annotations guide for students. The lesson involves a 3-page analysis/interpretation worksheet, a class discussion, a close reading and annotation exercise, and a detailed formative assessment so you can monitor your students mastery of the concepts. Literary analysis concepts included. You will also find a "thinking" homework assignment with an admission ticket for the next day.
Common Core and ACT Quality Core Aligned.
CCSS RL1, 4.
Enjoy! You're kids are gonna love it!
Be sure and check out some of my other products! Just click on the handy links provided below. :-D
Categorized List of Products for You and Your Students to Love:
Summary, Main Idea, Paraphrasing
1. Differentiated & Fun Lesson in Summarization Skills
Lessons with Song Lyrics
1. My Life Symbolized by Song Titles
1. Ghost Hunt - Spooky & Motivational Informational Reading for Internet
2. The Twilight Zone "The Masks" Lesson
3. The Tale of the Monkey's Paw -- Scary and High Interest
4. "The Cask of Amontillado" Worksheet Assessment
1. Literary/Poetic Devices "Tab-shoo"
2. Literary Elements "Tab-shoo"
3. Characterization: Character Portrayal Game
4. "Name That Tone" - Author's Tone Game
5. Hangman Template (a step-by-step easy approach to the process of the game)
Language (Grammar, etc.)
Parallel Structure: Five Day Mini-Lessons
Teaching & Motivating Teens
(Click for my Pinterest page) :)