This Virus Unit Package has been carefully crafted to incite the development of critical and creative thinking competency through the learning of biology curriculum and includes the following documents:
- teacher resource (pdf) complete with instructional tips for each ppt slide and for facilitating the student critical challenges.
- 26-slide powerpoint presentation - editable ppt
- 2 student graphic organizers designed to help students organize, comprehend, and retain the information presented in the PowerPoint slides and organize critical challenge work - editable word document
- 10 virus classification resource sheets (pdf) https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Viral-Classification-Resource-Sheets-3521481
- 10 Assessment Questions (4 pages) which have been carefully crafted to test for both content knowledge and critical thinking competency
The powerpoint, student graphic organizers and thinking challenge resources are editable and can be modified or changed to meet the needs of your classroom.
The following Thinking and Learning Outcomes are addressed in this unit plan:
1. Students will become familiar with the general structure of viruses
2. Students will make judgments based on pre-determined and self-determined criteria.
3. Students will understand how viruses are classified into groups based on structure and host specificity.
4. Students will successfully make observations based on viral characteristic data and will practice making plausible inferences from their observations as they determine defining characteristics of all viruses.
5. Students will determine whether viruses should be considered living or non-living based on criteria for living things and in doing so will use classification as a thinking strategy
6. Students will make speculations upon stages of viral replication as they study the replication of a T4 bacteriophage.
What makes this lesson unique from other virus lessons?
- the use of highly visual/colourful biological images to gain student interest
- includes critical challenges for educators and students to work through together in order to incite both deeper learning of the curriculum and aid students in life long critical and creative competency growth.
- this is a thoughtfully planned lesson, not just a deck of slides to be memorized by students
- includes an animation of viral replication
- assessment questions are carefully crafted in order to test for both course content and critical/creative thinking competency
- This product may NOT be copied and distributed outside of the scope of your classroom.
- This product may NOT be uploaded to the Internet or stored in a public retrieval system outside of the scope of the project itself (ex. your district website, slideshare.com, wikispaces.com, slideguru.com, your own personal website, etc.
- You may store this on your teacher website only if it is password protected.
- The slides included in this resource may not be used to create something new, and or distributed in any way without written consent from the author.
Thanks for coming to my store!