Also included in
- This Virginia Studies Bundle comes with EVERY lesson and activity needed to teach Virginia Studies for an ENTIRE YEAR at a discounted price! Each Virginia Studies unit is hands-on and incorporates LOTS of critical thinking and literacy skills. Examples of hands-on activities include simulation activPrice $101.60Original Price $221.18Save $119.58
Virginia Studies: 20th and 21st Centuries Unit is a hands-on unit that combines history and language arts skills. Everything you need to teach a unit about Virginia history throughout the 20th and 21st centuries can be found here!
For a closer look at the activities in this unit, see the product preview!
What Skills Are Covered In This Virginia Studies Unit?
This Virginia Studies: 20th and 21st Centuries includes 5 detailed lesson plans. All lessons are hands-on and incorporate literacy skills. Students will investigate--
- The shift from an agricultural society to a more industrialized society
- The difference between rural and urban areas
- The women’s suffrage movement
- The Great Depression and the New Deal
- Barbara Johns student strike and Davis v. County School Board of Prince Edward
- Brown v. Board of Education and the desegregation of public schools
- The Massive Resistance Movement in Virginia
- Famous Virginians during the 20th and 21st centuries (Maggie L. Walker, Harry F. Byrd, Oliver W. Hill, Arthur R. Ashe, A. Linwood Holton, and L. Douglas Wilder)
What Is Included In This Virginia Studies Unit?
This Virginia Studies: 20th and 21st Centuries Unit comes with:
- 12 Worksheets
- 8 Timeline Cards
- 5 Close Reading Passages & Comprehension Questions: All of the passages and questions can also be shared with students digitally and completed using Google Slides.
- 5 Hands-On Activities: Hands-on activities include things such as creating 3D maps, a Great Depression simulation activity, and creating suffrage signs.
- 5 Entry/Exit Tickets
- 3 Writing Activities
- 3 Group Activities
- 2 Sorts/Foldables
- 1 Research Project
- 1 Game
- 1 Quiz
- 1 Final Test
- 1 Timeline of Suggested Activities: Provides a timeline for using the activities included within this unit and provides links to websites featuring videos about concepts being taught.
- Answer keys included throughout
Students will become fully immersed in learning about Virginia during the twentieth and twenty-first centuries as they complete hands-on activities, watch video clips, and research past events!
Are Digital Resources Included?
All of the passages and comprehension questions, most worksheets, the quiz, and the test within this Virginia Studies: 20th and 21st Centuries Unit are also included in a digital format and can be shared with students using your Google Drive.
When you purchase this product, you will be given access to a link that will allow you to open the file in Google Slides. You’ll then share that file with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student's completed version of the slides. Video tutorials are also included to help you share interactive Google Slides with your students.
What Standards Are Covered?
This unit is specifically aligned with Virginia Studies SOL VS.9. The unit has been updated to reflect the 2015 changes to the standard.
What Are Other Buyers Saying?
“I love all the units I have bought from you. I'm new to teaching VA Studies and I enjoyed the variation of activities provided. I also like the articles and questions. I use them to allow students to work in pairs. The fact that you have a Google version of the articles worked when we had to finish school online. Thanks!” (Jessica C.)
“This is such a thorough resource specific to Virginia standards. I love that everything my students need is included, and I especially appreciate the quiz and test.” (Martha)
“This resource greatly helped as I was planning distance learning for my students. Thanks for the all awesome activities.” (Ashley S.)
“It had a wealth of information that the students enjoyed including links to videos, etc. Thank you so much!” (Diana J.)
“I love these units. I can use the passages in reading and the hands on activities are great.” (Ashley C.)
The following products are included in this unit:
Want to Save Money?
This Virginia Studies: 20th and 21st Centuries Unit is included in the Virginia Studies Bundle for a discounted price!
You may also be interested in:
Follow my TpT store to learn about the newest resources and freebies!
Feedback helps me to create great products for you to use in your classroom. Please consider leaving detailed feedback about how this resource worked in your classroom. Each time you provide feedback, you earn TpT credits that can be redeemed for free and discounted resources on TpT in the future.
©Meghan Vestal, Vestal’s 21st Century Classroom LLC. All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for teachers, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Teachers may NOT upload the product to school/district servers, or to any website, or share digital or print copies. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).