Looking for ideas for how to introduce each unit in the Virginia Studies curriculum? This resource includes 11 different “hook” worksheets that you can use throughout the year. These are a great way to see what students know before you begin teaching!
These worksheets can easily be completed in class, for homework, or with a substitute. I suggest following each with a class discussion so students can share their thinking. The majority of these activities are subjective, but an answer key is provided for selected pages.
Included are the following worksheets:
• VS.2a-c: “Make the Map”: Students label a map of Virginia and answer questions about their location.
• VS.2d-g: “A Day in the Life”: Students write a story from the point-of-view of an American Indian artifact.
• VS.3: Picture Prediction: Students predict how various images are connected to Jamestown.
• VS.4: “Word Splash”: Students write sentences that incorporate given vocabulary words.
• VS.5: “I See, I Think, I Wonder”: Students analyze a painting using prompts.
• VS.6: Persuasive Letter: Students write a persuasive letter concerning what right they think all people should have.
• VS.7: Reflection: Students answer opinion questions about the causes of war and the meaning/cause of the Civil War.
• VS.8: Anticipation Guide: Students complete an anticipation guide. They can return to this at the end of the unit to see how their knowledge has changed.
• VS.9: “Then vs. Now”: Students look at a postcard of Richmond, Virginia from the early 1900s and compare the scene to Virginia today.
• VS.10a: Questions and Flag Design: Students answer questions about Virginia’s government and design a new flag for the state.
• VS.10b-c: Sort: Students sort Virginia’s major products versus products from other states (aligned with the 2008 standards) OR they can sort Virginia's major manufactured products, agricultural products, and industries (aligned with the 2015 standards)
A BONUS ABC chart
is also included that can be used with any unit.
Thanks for visiting my store!
Please click here to see more Virginia Studies resources!