This 73 slide Power Point and Notes bundle covers the topics of viruses and bacteria found in a typical biology textbook. Written for biology or life science students in grades 8-12, this colorful and engaging PowerPoint will hook your students from the very first day. The slides are packed with photos and diagrams that will grab and hold your student's attention.
Please Note: This product is included in my Viruses and Bacteria Complete Unit Plan Bundle. Click this link to view bundle.
In addition to the Powerpoint, this product comes with a complete set of lecture notes (11 pages) for the teacher, and an outline of the notes (15 pages) for the students. Students will fill in their outline as the lessons are being taught.
Your students are going to love using the outline as you teach. It allows the student more freedom to listen, think, and ask questions during note-taking. The notes are also perfect for students with disabilities or IEP's.
This PowerPoint covers the following information:
• What is a virus? Includes definitions and the work of two scientists: Beijerinck and Stanley.
• Characteristics of Viruses
• Students will label a diagram of a virus and define each structure.
• Parts of a virus: capsid, nucleic acid, host specificity.
• Viruses: Living or Nonliving? Covers both living and nonliving characteristics of viruses.
• Viral reproduction: How do they do it? Includes lytic and lysogenic cycles. Students will label diagrams of both types of reproduction.
• Comparison of Viruses and Cells: Students will fill in a chart comparing viruses to cells.
• Viral Diseases
• Viroids and Prions
• Introduction to Bacteria
• Classification of Prokaryotes: Archaebacteria and Eubacteria
• Archaebacteria: Characteristics, methanogens, halophiles, and thermoacidophiles.
• Characteristics of Bacteria
• Structure of a bacterial cell: Students will label a diagram of a bacterial cell. All cell structures are fully explained and defined.
• How do bacteria obtain energy? Discussion of heterotrophs, autotrophs, parasites, saprophytes, photosynthesis, chemosynthesis, obligate aerobes, obligate anaerobes, and facultative anaerobes.
• Growth and reproduction of bacteria: requirements for growth, binary fission, conjugation, endospore formation
• The importance of bacteria: Role of decomposers, nitrogen fixation, human uses of bacteria.
• Bacterial diseases in humans: Ways bacteria cause disease, pathogens, vaccines, antibiotics.
• Symbiotic relationships: mutualism, commensalism, and parasitism is discussed.
Your download will include the following:
1) A 73 slide powerpoint
2) A pdf of the student notes
3) A Word document of the student notes
4) A pdf of the teacher notes.
5) A Word document of the teacher notes.
Related Products Include:
Lab: Controlling Bacterial Growth
Viruses and Bacteria Warm Ups and Interactive Notebook Pages
Viruses and Bacteria: Complete Teaching Unit Bundle
Viruses and Bacteria Task Cards
Test: Bacteria and Viruses
Lab: Microorganisms in School (Growing Bacteria)
Lab: Soil Communities (Testing for Bacteria in the Soil)
Viruses: Homework and Study guide
Bacteria Quiz or Homework
Bacteria Homework / Study Guide
Viruses Crossword Puzzle
Bacteria and Prokaryotes Crossword Puzzle
Viruses Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
Biology Lab: The Effect of Antiseptics and Disinfectants on Bacterial Growth
Bacteria Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page