Viscosity and Volcanoes Lab: Utilize cheap supplies to learn about viscosity, temperature, and volatiles in different types of magma.
Give your students an opportunity to truly understand why different volcanoes have different eruption styles. This lab download includes differentiated lab handouts to ensure that students are learning in their zone of proximal development.
Students will learn about different properties of magma in the lab and compare the materials they test to basaltic, andesitic, and rhyolitic magmas. Students will connect the viscosity, temperature, and volatile content of magmas to effusive and explosive eruption styles. In the end, they will determine which type of magma would be most likely to erupt from a stratovolcano, cinder cone, or shield volcano.
This download includes:
- Detailed tips and instructions
- Viscosity and Volcanoes Lab Handout Regular: 6-page handout with prelab, 3 labs to explore viscosity, temperature and volatiles as they impact magma, and conclusion questions that relate learning about lava to types of volcanoes and eruption style.
- Viscosity and Volcanoes Lab Handout Modified: Same directions and questions as the regular handout. Modified includes pre-made data tables, sentence starters for hypotheses and questions as well as lines for students to write on.
- Viscosity and Volcanoes Lab Handout Inquiry-Based: Same objective and research questions, but students are expected to independently write a hypothesis and procedure, do data collection and analysis and write a short conclusion for each research question.
- 11 slide PowerPoint with images for pre-lab on effusive and explosive eruption styles. Additional slides with information about types of volcanoes are included if needed for the conclusion questions.
- Answer Key
15 Slides/14 pages Lab Hanouts