Here is an opportunity for your class to read from 3 different texts. Determine which students would benefit from:
• short story of your choosing,
• an online magazine article with a related topic to the story [pet, hero, a sport, kindness, etc.] depending on your choice of story
• an online blog with a similar topic to the story and magazine article
You will locate an example of the above ideas (examples are not included in this product)
Then, run off a single copy, paste on the blank page given.
Create three packets for all three types of text by including the following:
Parts of each packet will include:
• Copy of text you paste on page
• Explanation of structure
• Explanation of features
• Explanation of Craft
• Page to record example of structure
• Page to record the evidence to support structure
• Page to record the students evaluation of the structure
• Page for writing connection: Expository or argument writing
This activity will enable students to work independently and “get deeper into the text”
This can be done over a 2 to 4 day period.
It is encouraged to spread this out in order to facilitate a 5-minute discussion on student findings.
This product contains pages to run off a complete packet for each type of reading and writing.
Total of 24 pages.
PS. Upon request, a suggested list of 3 possible texts to use with this product will be sent to you [those which I used to create this product].
Visit Explanatory Writing Student Work Center
Visit Informational and Fiction Writing Center
Visit Informational Text Reading Center
Visit Writing the Basic Five Paragraph Paper