This fun matching card game includes 40 “Ologies” that have suffixes often used in science. Don’t let your students become overwhelmed by new vocabulary words. This activity is a fun, yet effective way to boost vocabulary and it’s especially helpful in demystifying scientific terminology.
This product includes 4 files:
2. Ologies Vocabulary Cards in DOCX and PDF formats: 2 sets of 40 cards, divided into 2 sets of 20 pairs, but you can divide them up any way you like. The “ology” card has the term written in all caps and the definition on the corresponding card is written in lower case and includes an image to help you keep track, but you may decide to pencil in numbers of the back of the cards as well.
3. Worksheets: One for recording definitions and one for matching terms and definitions
4. Scientific Terms Glossary: 5 pages of root words, prefixes and suffixes
How to Play:
1. Copy the card pages onto card stock or laminate regular copies.
2. Distribute one card face down to each student. You have to play, too, if you have an odd number of students!
3. Once every student has a card, you say, “Go!” and students turn their card over, get up, and try to find their partner. For example, the student with the “BIOLOGY” card will try to find the student with the “study of life” card.
4. Once students think they have found the correct partner, they stand together at the front of the room (or wherever you tell them). I usually have my students form a circle around the room.
5. When everyone is finished, go around the room and have students read their cards.
6. Collect the cards, mix them up, and do it again!
Not in the mood to have students running all over the room? Make a few copies of the cards and let them play a concentration memory game in groups. Or let the groups race to see who can match their cards up fastest. Have fun!