- Back to School is the time to encourage a GROWTH MINDSET.Explicitly teach students HOW to build character, be good citizens, collaborate effectively, communicate assertively, be creative and innovative in problem solving, and think critically about school work, classroom community and life challenge$155.31$77.75Save $77.56
- Product Description
BUILD DEEPER UNDERSTANDING of concepts and vocabulary in Math, English, History, Social Studies, Science or any subject using this Frayer Model lesson and graphic organizer.
Designed with Google Slides for easy uploading to Google Classroom™.
✅ NO PREP - The Google Slideshow lesson teaches the concept and HOW to use the GRAPHIC ORGANIZER.
✅ USE THIS HANDOUT with any subject - reading an informational text, a narrative, or a technical subject like math or science.
✅ GET YOUR STUDENTS TO DO MORE than simply memorize a definition to "show" that they understand a curriculum concept or vocabulary word?
Use this Frayer Model graphic organizer to
- help your students think, analyze, and gain a real understanding of a concept
- assess and evaluate whether your students really understand a concept.
SAVE HOURS OF PREP WORK. Reuse this lesson / graphic organizer over and over again.
- A slideshow to teach your students how to use this graphic organizer using a whole-class example of the word, HOUSE
- A lesson plan giving teacher prompts and possible student answers for the whole-class example.
- Handouts for students to independently practice this graphic organizer using the word, SELFIE
- Sample student answers for the SELFIE handout.
- Blank handouts for your own concepts and vocabulary in your class. (Upload the Google Slides to your Google Classroom Assignments for students to fill out and submit.)
- A 8.5" x 11" letter size poster to remind students how to use this graphic organizer. Post a colour version on your bulletin board and print a black and white version for your students to keep in their binders.
QUICK EXAMPLES of VOCABULARY CONCEPTS you could explore with this graphic organizer:
- MATH: equation, expression
- ENGLISH: metaphor, simile
- SCIENCE: potential energy, elastic energy, kinetic energy
The Frayer Model graphic organizer is a powerful strategy for students to gain a better understanding of vocabulary and concepts.
Instead of simply memorizing a definition from the teacher or textbook, use this graphic organizer / strategy to give your students a chance to
- play with their understanding by brainstorming facts about the topic,
- clarify their understanding by coming up with non-examples,
- communicate a more concise understanding of the topic, and
- develop critical thinking skills as they judge and evaluate which characteristics are essential to the definition.
Frayer Model Graphic Organizer and Lesson
This package includes:
- Lesson plan and Google slideshow with step-by-step instructions on how to use the graphic organizer, and revise / edit ideas.
- Whole-class example exploring the word: house.
- Independent practice exploring the word: selfie.
Blank handouts are provided so you can use this graphic organizer strategy with any subject:
- introduce and teach concepts
- review understanding for assessments
- Answers are provided in the lesson plan for the whole-class example (house)
- Answers are also provided for the independent practice question (selfie)
- As of Feb 23, 2020, we only provide a Google Slide format of the slideshow. If you purchased this product before this date and would like a Microsoft Powerpoint version, please email us at email@example.com
EXAMPLES OF CONCEPTS YOU COULD USE THIS GRAPHIC ORGANIZER FOR:
NOTE: LESSON PLANS / HANDOUTS FOR THE FOLLOWING TERMS ARE NOT INCLUDED.
These are meant to be examples only. You can modify the Google Slides slideshow and the blank graphic organizer in this package to create your own vocabulary lessons.
Teach / review subject specific vocabulary and concepts in science
- Ontario Grade 5: tension, compression, system, load
- Ontario Grade 6: electrical circuit, current, battery, energy
- Ontario Grade 7: ecosystem, biotic, sustainability
- Ontario Grade 8: salinity, aquifer, water table
- Ontario Grade 9: biosphere, diversity, watershed, equilibrium
- Ontario Grade 10: compounds, product, reactant
Teach / review subject specific vocabulary and concepts in math
- Ontario Grade 4: Fractions (i.e. 1/2 ), Operations (i.e. multiplication, division)
- Ontario Grade 5: Volume, capacity, rectangular prism
- Ontario Grade 6: Rotational symmetry, quadrilateral, acute triangle
- Ontario Grade 7: equation, expression, growing pattern, variable
- Ontario Grade 8: categorical data, discrete, continuous, Pythagorean theorem
- Ontario Grade 9: equivalent ratio, single-variable term up to degree three
- Ontario Grade 10: quadratic relations, similarity, congruence
Teach / review subject specific vocabulary and concepts in Language Arts:
- Figurative language: metaphor, simile, pun, irony, onomatopoeia ...
- Parts of speech: verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs, preposition, conjunction …
- Types of texts: narratives, exposition, persuasion, description
- Forms / Text Features: history textbook, essay, short story, lyric poem, ...
Explore 6C’s character traits to develop a deeper understanding of learning skills
- Critical Thinking
MAKE SURE TO LOOK AT THE PREVIEW PDF. It contains the READ ME file for this product. It explains exactly what you get in the Google Drive folder with thumbnails of the files.
As always, if you have any questions, feel free to ask below!