Perfect for use as a Common Formative Assessment for Middle School teams to assess the Common Core or Florida Standards for Vocabulary. This assessment can be given as a pre test to see what students already know and to plan instruction based on student need---and then again as a post test to assess mastery of the standards.
Interpret words and phrases as they are used in a text, including determining technical, connotative, and figurative meanings, and analyze how specific word choices shape meaning or tone.
Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 6 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
This assessment includes three texts:
* Settlement at Jamestown (article)
* Death at Jamestown (article)
* Video Clip of Jamestown from the History Channel
Types of questions are based on the Smarter Balance, PARCC, and Florida Standards Assessment test specifications, which include:
*Multiselect (students must select more than one correct response)
* Hot Text (students select the words and phrases that support their answer)
* Two-Part Hot Text (a traditional multiple choice item paired up with a Hot Text Question)
* Gridded Response (students must complete a graphic organizer by placing the information in the correct places)
*Open Response (a written response item)
A detailed teacher guide explains how to administer the test, answer key, and student-friendly rubric are included.
Looking for resources for teaching the Common Core or Florida Standards Vocabulary category? Check out the Vocabulary resources in my store!