As ELA teachers we’re often told to “teach vocabulary in context.” Unfortunately, textbooks usually have a limited number of word-building questions or activities, and it can be difficult to fit the kind of repeated practice with new words into a class period that leads to retention of new vocabulary. Here, I’ve crafted three ready-to-print (or project) vocabulary units for the following texts in Collection 1 of the HMH Collections textbook.
• “The Ravine”
• “Fears and Phobias” and “In the Spotlight”
This bundle includes all 15 student worksheets and 3 answer keys, providing weeks of daily practice with vocabulary and grammar. Each unit includes:
• Word List - with student friendly definitions
• Words in Context - focuses on a specific type of context clue
• Word Play - puzzle-style format to build spelling and vocabulary skills
• Word Study - grammar or word analysis
• Word Application – vocabulary assessment beyond the fill-in-the-blank
In designing this resource, I tried to incorporate many “best practices” for word acquisition, including repeated encounters with the word in different contexts and a progressive sequence of instruction for context clues and grammar.
For a list of vocabulary words targeted for instruction, please refer to the individual unit descriptions. Save over 15% by purchasing the bundled units.