Do your students have trouble with classifying and categorizing? What about trouble with main idea and details? Use these fun sorts to help students understanding how to place words under the correct category (or detail under the main idea). These sorts have a two-fold approach, as they also provide a way to expose students to common vocabulary that may appear on standardized assessments.
These sorts can be done independently, with a group, whole-class, or even with several classes! Hang a column chart in the room or hallway, have the words provided copied on index cards or sticky notes, and then have the students sort away! The power in this simple activity is the explanations or reasons why a student puts a word under a the category.
- Suggestions for use
- Sort 1: Soccer/ Candy/ School
- Sort 2: Body/ Brain/ Breakfast
- Sort 3: Reading Words/ Science Words/ Math Words
- Sort 4: Emotions/ Actions/ Nouns
- Sort 5: Synonyms for Happy/ Synonyms for Sad/ Synonyms for Mad
- Answer Keys for each sort
Thanks for purchasing our product! Let us know what you think by rating it!
- Jessica and Susan