SWBAT define content related words using imagery and context in order to enhance meaning and make connections to prior knowledge.
Subject: Can be used with any subject area
Grade Level: Can be used with any grade level if you modify it.
Special Education Appropriate: I use this with my 7th and 8th grade Special Education Social Studies class.
1. Students work together to get textbook definitions of the words.
2. Students work together to find the word in context. They read the paragraph before the word, the paragraph the word is in, and the paragraph after the word. (You can be creative with this. In the example provided, I have students use prior knowledge to connect to the geographical term.
3. Students write a sentence using the word in context.
4. Students come up with a picture to represent the word and demonstrate meaning.
5. Closure: We review as a class. Students share what they have written.