Helping students develop new vocabulary is important... in school. But how can we make the process important in life? The answer is to assign vocabulary that is AUTHENTIC. The only way vocabulary acquisition is authentic is if students pursue it INDEPENDENTLY! This Vocabulary Tracker and Rubric does just that.
Advantages of Using the Tracker:
- differentiate for all learners
- no need to prepare vocabulary lists ever again
- Common Core aligned for grades 9-12
- students track their own growth!
- encourages students to USE words new to them
Use the Tracker with Success:
1) Distribute this assignment at the beginning of the year, and grade only TWICE, at midterm and at finals.
2) The only steps you need to do between grading cycles is conduct weekly or bi-weekly vocabulary checks. During silent reading, study time, or workdays, ask students to update their vocabulary trackers with all new words they used in the last week or two. The students should prove they used these words by showing you the assignment. Then you sign off!
3) Encourage students to use new words in their "real" lives! I've had students write me stories, share Facebook posts, Tweet to their friends, and even text their parents with new vocabulary in them. It makes this process much more authentic - and hilarious.