Volcanoes Escape Room
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Are you ready to try an Escape Room event with your elementary students? I have some perfect choices for you and even a free sample! An Escape room is a puzzle game in which students solve riddles and puzzles and find clues to finish tasks. In these Escape Room students solve puzzles to open lockedPrice $74.00Original Price $93.50Save $19.50
- What a great time-saver and money-saver this bundle will be for your study of volcanoes or landforms! This amazing bundle has a Volcano Escape Room, a Quick STEM Challenge, and a Volcano Print and Read resource.NOTE: All three of the resources in this bundle may be purchased separately. NOTE: If yoPrice $7.50Original Price $9.50Save $2.00
Are your elementary students loving Escape Rooms or Locked Box challenges? Mine beg for more! This one is perfect for adding some zest to your study of Landforms, Volcanoes, Hawai’i, and a way to tie it all together with problem-solving and a STEM Challenge!
It’s an Escape Room Challenge with a Science-based theme! This Escape Room features Volcanoes and Hawai’i.
NOTE: This Escape Room is available in a money-saving bundle!
NOTE: The information in this resource has been updated to include the most recent eruption of Kilauea.
What is an Escape Room?
STEM Escape Rooms involve solving riddles and tasks to find clues to open a locked box. Students work together to find the keywords that lead to the needed information to unlock a lock. This resource includes 3 tasks!
What are the Tasks?
For the Box 1 Task-
- Students use a map grid and directions to discover a volcanic beach and the lock code.
- Students use a directions card to lead them through the task. This directions card is provided in two formats- one easier and one more challenging.
For the Box 2 Task-
- Task 2 involves completing math problems.
- The math answer will lead students to a display.
- This will give them clues for the lock code.
For the Box 3 Task-
- Task 3 has students piecing together a volcano puzzle and this leads to the final lock code.
What do you need?
- You will need three number locks for this escape room.
- Directions are included to use this set without these locks!
- You will also need three boxes. This can be a plastic or metal toolbox, but any box will work- even a cardboard box!
- Directions and photos are included for how to set up the boxes and locks or how to use a version without locks.
- You do not need 3 boxes and 3 locks per group! It’s three boxes and three locks for the entire class.
What is your prep?
Your Prep for this event includes: copying and laminating student directions cards, maps, box labels, Hawai'i Information card, Lei poster, and puzzles. You will also copy a math page of your choice. Posters will be displayed. Total prep time is about 30 minutes.
Included in the Escape Room file of this resource, you will find:
- Table of contents
- 3 pages of tips and tricks for setting up everything
- For Box 1- teacher directions with photos, student directions in two ability levels, volcano and Hawai’i information card in two sizes, map grid, map grid directions, map grid answer key, volcanic beach poster, and box labels
- For Box 2- teacher directions with photos, math papers in two ability levels, math answer key, lei poster, and box labels
- For Box 3 – teacher directions with photos, volcano poster in two sizes, and box labels.
- Miscellaneous forms include Hint cards for each task, an alternative locking system (made of paper)
- Certificates to award students completing the task (in two versions- one for Hawai’i and one for volcanoes), Hawaiian word examples to use with your displays, two photos of Hawai’i to use with displays
- Most pages are provided in a black and white version.
BUT there is MORE! Included in this Escape Room is a STEM Challenge! You can use the challenge as a stand-alone project or use it with the Escape Room. This Quick Challenge uses a budget and you can award the first team to unlock all the boxes with more cash! The second place team gets a little less and so on. The STEM Challenge involves designing and testing a volcano model!
The STEM Challenge
The Challenge is to build a Volcano model. You will find a challenge overview and hints page, 4 pages of teacher directions, criteria cards for student use, lab sheet with an answer sample, shopping list page for students, three pages of photos, and a scoring rubric. The scoring rubric, lab sheet, shopping list, and criteria cards are editable. This STEM Challenge may be purchased separately.
Materials needed for the STEM Challenge include cardboard tubes, small plastic or paper cups, tissue paper, construction paper, masking tape, baking soda, vinegar, measuring spoons, and foil. Optional: paper money.
Check the preview to see everything!
One more thing to note: This was tested with third graders, fourth, and fifth graders! Some items are provided in two ability levels. Three pages of hints and tips will guide you through using this resource. It’s a highly engaging activity that will create a busy-ness in your classroom that is so much fun. Comments from my students include:
“This one is my favorite because it was about a subject I didn’t know much about.”
“This one was easier to solve. I like the way the tasks made us read more and learn.”
The STEM Challenge by itself can be found here:
STEM Quick Challenge Volcanoes
For more resources about Volcanoes or Landforms:
- Volcanoes Little Flipper
- Kinds of Rocks and the Rock Cycle Little Flipper Booklet
- Landforms Booklet Kit
- Landforms Task Cards
For more STEM Escape Rooms, check the custom categories in my store or click below:
- Land Forms
- Space Shuttles
- Winter Sports
- Back to School
- End of the Year
- Valentine's Day
- Animal Adaptations
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
Click here to follow my store. It’s that easy to receive email updates about Teachers Are Terrific!
Keep in Touch!
Thank you so much,
Teachers Really are Terrific!