A mock election is a great way to help young children understand the process of how we elect our leaders. This voting activity is the perfect lesson for use around Election Day for grades kindergarten, first, or second. Show an online video (link included in lesson) or read the book Duck for President by Doreen Cronen. A ballot is included for students to vote for who should be in charge of the farm: Duck or Farmer Brown. After ballots are collected, students work together to complete the Election Vote Tally Worksheet to count the votes as they are read aloud. When the activity is finished, students write in response to the question “Why is voting a good way to make decisions?”
The sample images show the cover page, one lesson plan page, the ballot, and election vote tally worksheet. The preview download shows all of the pages included.
Here are the specific items included with this lesson:
• Detailed Lesson Plan (2 pages)
• Link to online video of “Duck for President” (in lesson plan)
• Ballot for voting (4 per page)
• Election Vote Tally Worksheet
The following is not included:
• Book Duck for President by Doreen Cronin (This lesson can be implemented without the book if you have an internet connection and can show the online video to the class).
• Ballot box (an empty tissue box is suggested)
• Students will understand the process of voting through participation in a mock election activity.
• The student will be able to explain why voting is a good way to make group decisions.
Tip!: After download, print only pages 2-5 to avoid using extra ink to print the cover page.
After purchase, please remember to leave feedback to get your TpT points that will give you a credit on future purchases!
Thank you so much for stopping by!