These Vowel Digraph and Diphthongs Read and Clip word cards are perfect for beginning readers! They make a great word work center, morning tub activity, or early finisher activity. Students simply read the word on each card and use a clothespin to clip the picture that matches the word.
This activity is easy to prep! Just print, laminate, and cut each page in half. Practice just one pattern at a time, or mix and match for more of a challenge. You can easily add or remove cards to fit the needs your students.
I like to put a colored dot on the back of each card behind the correct picture so students can simply flip the card over to check their work.
Need an exit slip to quickly assess how your students are doing with this skill? Just print any of the four read-and-match pages included at the end of this resource.
Cards for the following words are included (128 total):
• ai: mail, tail, sail, pail, nail, paint, rain, train, jail
• ay: pay, hay, ray, day, tray, pray, play
• ea: eat, pea, tea, leaf, meat, leak, read
• ee: see, sleep, seed, feed, peek, three
• oa: coat, boat, road, loaf, soak, toad, load
• ow (long o): bow, grow, blow, mow, crow, arrow, snow, tow
• oe: toe, hoe, doe, joey
• ie: tie, pie, lie, die
• igh (trigraph): night, light, knight, tight, high, flight
• oy: joy, toy, royal, oyster, destroy, cowboy
• oi: coin, oil, coil, boil, point, poison
• ew: new, dew, grew, flew
• ue: clue, glue, blue, argue, tissue, rescue, duel, cue
• ui: fruit, suit, juice, bruise
• aw: paw, saw, claw, straw, yawn, draw, crawl
• au: haul, haunt, sauce, launch
• ow (diphthong): owl, clown, bow. crown, down, growl, howl
• ou: out, loud, south, snout, flour, pound, house, mouse
• oo (long and short sounds): hoop, boot, food, moon, roof, tools, booth, tooth, hood, book, cook, hook, look, wood
These activities help to meet the following Common Core Standard for students in First Grade and Second Grade:
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.C: Know final -e and common vowel team conventions for representing long vowel sounds.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3: Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.B: Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.2.3.B: Know spelling-sound correspondences for additional common vowel teams.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.2.3: Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
I find these cards especially helpful for my struggling readers, who are still working to develop fluency when reading words with these patterns. The pictures cues also support vocabulary development for my English Language Learners.
If you enjoy this product, please consider following my store. I post new products and freebies regularly!
You can contact me with any questions or requests at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Amanda Taylor @ Second Grade Smiles