"This is a HUGE, clever, and quality resource that I used very successfully with regular instruction as well as intervention."
"Love this product. The activities were so fun and students really enjoyed the activities."
As a special "I appreciate all that teachers do" treat, I'm pricing this packet at $7.95, instead of the usual $9.95-$10.95 price for a packet of this size.
“When two vowels go walking the first one does the talking.” Is a simple & very popular rhyme that helps children read a variety of words with a vowel digraph.
However, so that children are not frustrated, it is extremely important to add “…sometimes but not always.” after they recite the rhyme, as there are of exceptions to the rule!
To build vocabulary, improve fluency, as well as spelling, I teach the “rule breakers” along with the words that follow the rule.
Hence the "Vowel Villains" portion of the title. How appropriate that the word villain is a rule breaker.
Instead of being frustrated when they are tripped up by a rule- breaking word, they get excited because they’ve found yet another “convict word” to “jail”.
Believe me, your students will LOVE this approach to word work.
My kiddos were constantly on the look out for CVVC words.
They enjoyed determining if a word followed the rule or not, and took delight in finding “culprits” that they could add to the jailhouse.
"My small groups loved this resource. The activities made it more visual and hands on for them."
"Love the fun activities. The kids don't realize how much they are learning because they are enjoying themselves. Great products and graphics."
Another thing that I include in the packet is some Rhyme Time activities.
This is another quick, easy & fun way to build vocabulary and help students find more examples of words that fit the rule.
The packet includes:
* 4 large “When two vowels go walking…” anchor chart posters, with a smaller version showing all of the posters on one page, along with matching bookmarks.
* 8 large vowel digraph posters to use as headers for a word wall.
* “When 2 vowels go walking…” finger puppets. A set of boys, plus a set of girls in both black & white & color.
They provide a super-fun way to introduce the rhyme & help children remember it.
* A set of 8, Mix & Match, “build-a-bookmark” patterns (boys & girls, black line & full color).
I’ve included completed samples, so you can quickly & easily make examples to share with your students to help explain what you want them to do.
* 360 (10-on-a-page) word cards for ai, ea, oa, oe & ee; including a blank set of cards so you can program with more words, plus a tip list of what else you can do with the word cards, including the “Kaboom” game.
* A variety of “rule breaking activities” including a rule breaker song to the tune of London Bridge
* 11 “Lock them up” worksheets, with answer keys
A “Jail the rule breakers” poster, with matching worksheet & booklet.
* ai, ea, oe, ie “I broke the rule” posters
* A set of rule breaker, “build-a-bookmark” convicts, in color plus black & white.
* 84 rule-breaking word cards, with a blank set to program more
* Rhyme time activities, with worksheets & posters
* Directions, tips, samples, links & photographs
"Awesome product! It includes tons of fun ways for students to learn vowel teams."
"This was great motivation for my students- focusing on vowel "rule breakers" . I had a lot of success using this resource both whole group and small group."
I’m Diane from Teach With Me, hoping that your students enjoy learning tricky vowel combinations with these interesting techniques, as much as my students have.
Don’t forget that all of my new products are 40% off for 48 hours.
Click this LINK to follow my shop & you'll be notified of these huge savings.