*Decoding and Encoding
*PDF in color and black and white (helping teachers save money on color copies :) ).
The student will blend sounds of letters to make words.
(Copy on card stock, laminate, and cut.)
Students combine vowels with consonant combinations to make words.
1. Place the Vowel Stars face down in a stack at the center. Provide the student with paper and a Vis-à-Vis® marker.
2. The student selects the top card and writes a vowel in the blank using the Vis-à-Vis® marker.
3. Says the sounds of each letter, blends them, and reads the word orally (e.g., “/d//i//g/, dig”).
4. Determines if it is a real word or a nonsense word. If it is a real word records it on the recording sheet.
5. Wipes the vowel off and writes another one.
6. Continue until all cards are used.