• Print the Word Sort cards and cut apart
• On a white board or pocket chart put several words from the sort cards that should double the consonant before adding the vowel suffix. Then, put several words in another column that do not. Next, hold up a word and ask if anyone knows where it should go. Keep doing this until most students have figured out the categories and spelling patterns.
• Ask the students how the words in each category are alike. Draw attention (by underlining the base word) to the fact that all the base words have one vowel followed by a consonant (VC) in the “doubling” category, but the other base words end in two consonants (VCC).
• Discuss the spelling rules with students. Students may be given several root word cards and asked which spelling rule applies.
• Individual students or small groups of students work independently to sort words according to headings – drop the e, just add suffix, or double the consonant. They may record their sorts on the following pages.
* More detailed explanation of spelling rules and additional activity ideas included with the download.