This is a companion to my Long and Short A packet. Some of the activities are the same but with the u vowel.
With the rigor of the New Common Core, this packet will help your students distinguish long from short vowel sounds. A great packet for grades K, 1st, & 2nd. It covers K.RFS.3.b and 1.RFS.2.a and 2.RFS.3.a in the Common Core Standards. This packet focuses on the U vowel sound. There are eleven different activities for your students to explore. I use this packet over a 2 week period. I begin by introducing or reviewing the short U sound. Next, I move onto the long sound of U. Finally, I put both sounds together.
Activities in this packet are:
1. Short U Picture Sort- Great for whole group to introduce on the first day. Then put it in centers for extra practice.
2. Short U Hunt the Room- Can be used as a whole class activity or in a center.
3. Find It- This is a great worksheet to assess how the students are learning the short u sound.
4. BANG Game- A great game for centers to practice reading words with the short u sound.
5. Long or Short Picture Sort- Introduce the long sound with this sort as a whole class activity then place in centers for more practice.
6. Is It Long Like Mule or Short Like Sun- This is a great worksheet for kids to practice reading and hearing the sounds.
7. Long or Short U Sort- This activity gives students practice reading and sorting the sounds of u.
8. Scrambled Sentence- There are 2 of these sheets for practice putting words into sentences using some of the long and short U words. This is also a great review to do in a month or so later to see if your kids remember the sounds.
9. Long or Short Game 1 with Pictures - This is a great game for practice in centers.
10. Long or Short Game 2 with Words- Game 2 is a little more challenging and some students may not be able to read the words. But itÃƒÂ¢Ã¯Â¿Â½Ã¯Â¿Â½s a great way to challenge your higher students.