This Common Core resource includes 20 rigorous unit learning tasks for W. W. Jacobs’s short story, "The Monkey’s Paw." The teacher-created learning tasks include standard(s) alignment using the language of Common Core State Standards. The unit activities represent a balance of analysis and evaluation activities focusing on a variety of literary elements, constructed responses, and extended informational/explanatory and argumentative writing. This resource also includes some embedded external documents and informational texts that have thematic parallels with "The Monkey’s Paw." The learning tasks will delve deeper into the complex character development, figurative and connotative meanings, and themes that have made it a literary classic.
Critical reading of literary texts is a critical component of the Common Core State Standards, and analyzing texts is a key skill that students will need for college and the jobs of the future. The critical foci of the learning tasks include:
1. Figurative and connotative meanings
2. Citing strong and thorough textual evidence (inferencing)
3. Analyzing themes and their development over the course of the text.
4. Analyzing complex character development
5. Responding to literature using constructed responses and extended writing.
6. Collegial discussions and presenting information.
7. Creating digital posters using Glogster
8. Comparing print and digital media including a cartoon parody to the short story
Make sure you follow my store for future releases and future sales!
Check out the other short story products that I have available.
Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Cask of Amontillado” – 20 Common Core Learning Tasks!!
Guy de Maupassant’s “The Necklace” – 16 Rigorous Common Core Learning Tasks!!
Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery" - Common Core Annotated Text w/Guided Questions
W. W. Jacobs’s “The Monkey's Paw” – 20 Common Core Learning Tasks!!
by Dr. Joel C. Boyce
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License