WAS COLUMBUS A HERO OR A ZERO: A "History on Trial" (H.O.T.) Topic Activity
INCLUDED IN EACH “H.O.T” TOPIC UNIT:
1) Detailed Instructions: a “DAY BY DAY” walk through to help the teacher navigate smoothly through this easy to implement activity.
2) Reproducible HISTORICAL OVERVIEW handout
3) Reproducible VIEWPOINTS handout for each Topic
4) Reproducible BREAKING DOWN THE ARGUMENTS wksht
5) Reproducible INSIDE THE ISSUES pro/con handout
6) Reproducible INSIDE THE ISSUES blank worksheet.
7) Reproducible PERSONAL RESPONSE sheet
8) Reproducible YOU/ME argument practice worksheet
9) Reproducible JURY RUBRIC form.
In this mini-unit (3-5 days), students explore two very different viewpoints on the historical significance of Christopher Columbus. After completing a series of individual and group activities, readings and responses, this History on Trial (H.O.T.) unit culminates with an in-class trial/debate. Included in this teacher pack are easy to follow step by step, day by day instructions, worksheets and readings. This unit literally gives a teacher everything he/she needs to facilitate a great classroom activity!
One of the frustrating parts of teaching is that we are often telling our kids what to think, instead of showing them how to think. United States history is filled with dynamic, controversial and fascinating issues that lend themselves to discussion, viewpoint and debate. The purpose of the HISTORY ON TRIAL curriculum is to help students develop their own, well-informed perspectives on these topics.
If you are a teacher who is always on the lookout for meaningful yet manageable activities to share with your students, then HISTORY ON TRIAL is for you. This mini-curriculum provides your students with all the material for an authentic learning experience. Bring excitement and critical thinking to your classroom. Use HISTORY ON TRIAL and watch your students engage in historical discussions and exchanges that they will never forget!