This literacy module, anchored by a 675 word biography of the great Irish poet, consists of a number of activities designed to improve reading comprehension, spelling, and vocabulary, in addition to research and writing skills. It provides a useful introduction to the poetry of W.B. Yeats.
The pack consists of:
1. Biography of W.B. Yeats - a factual reading text. 675 words detailing the poet's early life, his influences, love affair with Maud Gonne, the Abbey, involvement in politics, marriage etc.
2. Multiple Choice Quiz based on the text (18 questions). This is the simplest task and is designed for the weakest students.
3. Questions based on the text. These are low order questions. Their function is to ensure understanding of the text.
4. Vocabulary task 1 - Match words to descriptions (with or without use of dictionary). A task designed to improve vocabulary. The format of this makes it something you can use as an assessment. (20 words, single page layout)
5. Vocabulary tasks 2 & 3. Word Search and Sentence Writing. The first part is a fun activity.
6. Writing / Presenting / Research Activities.
There are four ideas for research projects.
The three writing activities challenge students to consider different scenarios, and write a diary entry, a letter, and a newspaper report.
There is also a short media project.
I have included one poem, and ask students to give their personal response to it. (He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven).
These challenging activities expect students to demonstrate high order skills and a good understanding of the life of W.B. Yeats.
There are 11 pages of activities. I'm selling this as a Word document, so that it can be edited.
Solutions to the Multiple Choice Quiz, Questions, Word Matching and Word Search exercises are included.
I developed this item to use as an introduction to the poetry of W.B. Yeats. Another activity that I use with a similar purpose is my W.B. Yeats Biography Crossword Puzzle