Want to teach the core vocabulary that nonverbal learners need to learn in a way that is engaging? This unit features one week's worth of core vocabulary instruction for beginning AAC or nonverbal language learners. This unit was created to be used by teachers to coordinate with a speech therapist's weekly core vocabulary lesson. Core vocabulary words are the words that children learn to speak, use and understand first based upon research. I have chosen to teach these words explicitly in my classroom because my students are not acquiring language naturally. My units start with the most common core vocabulary words and then will add in less frequently used words.
This unit features the core word "what" which is one of the first words to be taught by speech therapists who are using core vocabulary. I specifically created this unit to extend my student's speech lessons into whole group and individual teaching times. I added a take home book to help families understand how we are teaching the vocabulary and give them an activity to do with their child at home in hope that students will generalize their new skills.
Please download the preview if you are considering purchasing this product. It has a more comprehensive look at the products included.
Included in this unit are:
1. an interactive adapted book with 8 uses of the core word(s)
2. a matching task to be used at an independent or teacher directed center where the student matches the core vocabulary picture to the specific uses of the word featured in the book
3. a take home book for students to color and take home to share with families to continue their learning at home. This book is a black/white half page version of the full color adapted book.
4. a full color poster of the word. I would suggest printing several copies and hanging them around the classroom as a visual reminder of the "word of the week" for staff and students.
5. a small printable card to be added to a core vocabulary "word wall." As we study a word each week, I add the word to our core vocabulary wall so that we can see the words we have learned.
6. a printable letter to send home to parents at the beginning of the week. It features the week's word and illustration as well as suggested phrases for parents to use at home with their child.
If you would like to try a small sample before you purchase, you can download a sample preview free here: All Done Core Vocabulary Bundle PREVIEW for Special Education Teachers
To see all my core vocabulary units, click here
Once printed, I suggest you laminate the individual pages and pieces for heavy usage. More specific instructions are included for creating your bundle to last several school years.
Adapted books would also be good resources for any young learner, an early childhood special education classroom, simple literacy or math centers for preschool and prekindergarten classrooms and home schoolers who are teaching students with unique abilities. Because the principles of teaching vocabulary are very similar for both language delayed children with special needs and new English learners, my books are also an excellent resource for an ELL/ELD/EFL classroom for young children. Created by *miss kim designs* a store for the unique learners in your life.
Want more adapted books in other themes? To see my inventory of adapted books, click here