This back to school activity is a must have for any history or social studies class! Start the first day of school, or the first lesson, with “WHY” because students always want to know why? Why am I learning about history? Why do we have to study this stuff anyway? When am I ever going to use this in life? Isn’t history about a bunch of old dead people and things that have already happened?
**Major necessary upgrades have been made (July 2018) to make this product even better!**
You’ve heard these questions before. These are great questions that should not be dismissed but rather explored. I always begin my first day of any history class going through this PowerPoint (or Google Slides) discussion to convince my students that history is truly important for them. I have found that the “WHY” must be answered before the “WHAT.” When students know why, then learning can begin. I typically use this for a first day of school, or first day of any history lesson! I hope this resource helps your students as much as it has helped mine, and gets them excited about learning history! Enjoy this quality “NO-PREP” mini-lesson.
This resource is also a part of my Early American History Bundle! Right now, save 25% on this resource and others by purchasing the discounted bundle!
- A full set of notes to lead discussion in both PowerPoint and Google Drive formats
- A note to the teacher that helps explain why history is so important.
- Lesson ideas to incorporate before and after the presentation.
- 6 reasons as to “Why we study history?" to present to students.
- A link to an inspirational 4 min video about history's influence.
- Numerous discussion notes and evidences for each of the 6 points to help the teacher lead the large group discussion and/or lecture without having to do your own research.
- A post reflection writing activity and a simple quiz template to asses students on the 6 reasons why.
- All resources are accessible in GOOGLE Drive format.
- This is ready to go with “NO PREP” and no research needed. WooHoo!
**Check out my other Back To School lessons and activities!**
This resource is made to be used for any history related class! It covers the importance of knowing and studying history in itself. It is meant to help students see the practical value in history. The lesson will guide you through six important reasons why we study history such as learning from past mistakes and being able to foresee future events. There is no specific era or time period represented. I use this lesson to introduce all of my history classes and I have taught a variety of history courses including U.S. History, Western Civilization, and Ancient World History. Enjoy helping your students see the value in studying history!
Thank you so much for stopping by and downloading this resource. I hope it adds value to your classroom. Please follow Mister Harms for more great resources and I'd love for you to leave a rating on this product with your awesome feedback! Have a wonderful day!
You may also like:
Brain Teasers: Volume 1
Daily Bell Ringers: Growth Mindset Writing Prompts
Biography Summaries of Historical People Webquests
Ben Franklin: Poor Richard's Almanac
Star Spangled Banner & War of 1812: Mini Unit
Thomas Jefferson Introductory Quiz
Lewis & Clark Video Viewing Questions
Legislative Branch Simulation
The Oregon Trail Simulation Lesson
Classonomics: An Economic Simulation
Crack the Code: Unlocking an Unknown Language
BATTLESHIPS: A Review Game for Any Subject
Stay informed: Join the misterharms.com email list for updates and giveaways!
Follow Mister Harms: TpT