WINTER Break Reading Challenges | Holiday Reading Activities
What educators are saying
Also included in
- How can you keep students motivated to read at home during a long school closure? This bundle of reading bookmark challenges make an excellent distance learning resource to help students stay engaged with reading at home! These no-prep bookmarks allow teachers and parents to provide kids with a funPrice $11.20Original Price $14.00Save $2.80
Keeping students motivated and engaged with reading throughout the Winter season with so many holiday activities and breaks can be a challenge. These reading bookmarks offer students a variety of "reading challenges" to inspire them to read more during the Winter.
Each bookmark has 5 reading ideas or "challenges" for students to complete. Each time they finish one of the ideas, they color in that section of the bookmark.
These reading challenges help prevent students from saying "I don't know what to read." "I can't find anything else to read."
- 9 weeks of Winter Reading Bookmarks (35 challenges total)
- Editable Teacher chart for record keeping
- 3 Different Editable Awards for student achievement (They come in Black & White and Color)
- “Are You Up For A Winter Reading Challenge?” sign (also editable)
- Student Directions Chart--Editable
These reading bookmarks are best used for Winter (December through February) of the school year.
This resource has one set of bookmarks that goes in a numbered order. I also included a tracking chart for this set so that teachers and students can keep track of which reading challenges have been completed. This set can be used for reading homework or as an early finisher activity in the classroom.
If you use these before Winter Holiday break arrives, these reading challenge bookmarks also have a set that is not numbered. I print several of these out, but I don’t cut them apart. I leave them in a basket that is easily accessible to students. The basket is labeled with the challenge sign. Students complete the reading bookmarks at their own pace. For each bookmark that students complete and cut out, they drop it in a small box that I also have in the classroom. At the end of every month during the Winter months, I pull out the completed bookmarks and give out prizes to students who completed the challenges.
You can also use this resource for holiday breaks during the fall to encourage consistent reading while students are out of school. Students who come back from break with completed bookmarks also earn the included certificates and a fun extra prize to go with it.
***This resource is saved as a compressed zip file.***
- I was looking for something to switch up and motivate my students to keep reading for the 3rd quarter. I had been using a reading log I created, but wanted to try something new. So far my students have really enjoyed this! -Kristen
- This has been a very motivating way to encourage my students to read at home. I send it home on Tuesday and half my group does it all in one day and returns it the next school day. We have a remote day every week and I like them to read over the weekend. If they can't zoom, they still have this reading assignment. -Lisa
- I sent these home with some students over Christmas break to encourage them to read. Students were excited to use these! -Elizabeth
- I LOVE how easy these are to use, and the dual purpose! -Jeffrey
- AND MORE!! See additional feedback below
✐ Reading Challenges: Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall
⭐WANT DISCOUNTED TPT RESOURCES?!
Did you know that you can get TpT Credit that lowers the prices of your future purchases?
Each time you make a purchase, you can offer a rating and feedback on that resource in exchange for credits that will go towards your next purchase!
So thanks in advance for your rating and feedback!
⭐LET'S STAY CONNECTED!
Please consider clicking the green star ★ beside my picture to follow me for updates and first dibs on the latest classroom goodies from me!
©Tanya G. Marshall--The Butterfly Teacher, All Rights Reserved October 2019
Product Cover Stock Image Credit: Adobe Stock Images
For ALL resources from my store, please be mindful of "sharing" resources with co-teachers and other teacher-friends. I offer generous multiple-license discounts and school-wide licenses so that your teaching team can have copies for themselves.
Thanks for honoring these professional standards of ethics.