- Is this the year you plan to introduce R.J. Palacio's books, WONDER, AUGGIE & ME, and WHITE BIRD to your students? This product is a bundle of five WONDER products for grades 4-8. It includes: a novel study for WONDER, a novel study for AUGGIE & MEa novel study for WHITE BIRD activities$31.00$27.90Save $3.10
- Product Description
This is a custom-made, ready-to-use, CCSS aligned packet designed for students in grades 5-8 who are reading , by R.J. Palacio. It can be used as a printable and as a TpT digital product to share on Google Classroom to help with distance learning. Included is a 27-page student workbook with a separate answer key in addition to optional vocabulary bookmarks, a list of extension topics and websites, and a listing of standards supported.
The student workbook divides the text into seven reading assignments of about 40 pages each. With each assignment are 3-4 pages of activities to go along with the text. They include:
- vocabulary reinforcement
- recognizing literary crafts: similes & metaphors
- plot & setting
- understanding author’s purpose
- recognizing point-of-view
- explaining one’s thinking
- demonstrating comprehension
- identifying character traits
The workbook (or worksheets) gives students essential practice in constructing written responses. It is designed for independent work in class or at home, thus allowing students to have directed work while the teacher is working on small group or individual instruction. Also, the teacher could use this as a guide for a parent or an aide as they direct a student book club or conduct small group discussions of the book. Questions and tasks in the workbook are intended to prompt high level thinking and quality group discussions.
NOTES on Related Products:
- In my store is also a product called "Wonder: Book vs Movie" designed for students who have read the book and seen the 2017 movie.
- In addition, my store has a novel study for R.J. Palacio's 2015 book, Auggie & Me. This Palacio book gives readers three great stories ("The Julian Chapter", "Pluto", and "Shingaling") about characters whose lives were impacted by Auggie. Click on the link to take a look at it.
- My store also has a Wonder-ful Bundle that consists of novel studies for both , in addition to "Wonder: Book vs Movie", and a book test and key for .
in a Nutshell:
Published in 2012, this book is R.J. Palacio's first novel and it is truly a wonder! Ten-year-old August was born with rare facial deformities that have caused his life to be anything but ordinary….and ordinary is what he wishes for more than anything. Auggie feels ordinary on the inside, but he is constantly reminded of his flaws by how people respond when they see him. August displays remarkable understanding toward those who make him feel like a monster and he shows us the bravery it takes to face the world with a severe handicap. One cannot help but want to be a better person after reading this book. This is a story that will touch the heart of every reader.
Reading level is approximately 6th grade. Content is appropriate for ages 9-13 (and even older!).
SOME OF THE AWARDS HAS RECEIVED:
2012 NY Times #1 Bestseller and NYT Book Review Notable Book
Kid’s Indie Next List “Inspired Recommendations” 2012
National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA) Gold Award 2012
Time Magazine's 100 Best Young Adult Books of All Time
Washington Post Best Kids' Book