WORD FAMILIES ACTIVITY SET consisting of 8 word family activities in 22 PDF documents. All activities are in color.
1. Welcome to the Family--Sort out the word cards into the their correct word family pocket. (families -ill, -in and -og)
2. Word Family Puzzle Pairs--Match together the puzzle pairs that create a picture and it's name. (2 puzzles each of -ock, old, -um, -ab, -and, -ap)
3. Word Families Board Game--Roll the die and move your token that many spaces. Pick a card. If the beginning sound on the card makes a real word when combined with the word family on the space, you may stay on the space. If it doesn*t make a real word, go back to the spot you were on before the roll.
4. Flower Families--Match the flower petals with the pictures to the correct flower. (The center of the flower shows the word family.) (4 large flowers featuring -ig, -ug, -op, and -at)
5. Having a Ball with Word Families--Add a beginning consonant or a blend to each snowball in the pile to create a word from that family. (-all, and -ow: long o sound)
6. Create a Word Pull Throughs--(4 different pull throughs) Pull the letter strip through each picture to create a word from the word family shown. Extra practice: Pick two or three of the words and use them in a sentence. (-at family on a hat; -ag family on a flag; -en family on a hen)
7. Build a Word--Create your own word families using the 99 tiles with the onsets (beginning sound of the words) and rimes (the word family ending of the words). (All word family tiles are in blue ink, all initial consonant sounds are in black ink and all consonant blends are in green ink.) This set includes all word families.
You can see pictures of the finished activities at: http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g207/b8tes2/Word%20Families%20Activity%20Set/?albumview=grid
Word Families Activities by Lisa Bates
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License