This resource covers the features of Biography in contrast to autobiography. It contains activities and assessments to cover the skills of literacy in an easy, structured, cover-your-bases system. It includes everything you need to get going with Biography Writing in your classroom.
• Differentiate an autobiography and a biography to elicit their features.
• Access prior knowledge by discussing the writing process and the elements of a biography.
• Improve comprehension by researching a contemporary or historical figure and reporting the most significant information about him or her.
• Apply standard writing processes by creating short and publishable works.
• Analyse content area writing by evaluating and critiquing each other's work.
1. Create carefully organized work having all details and paragraphs in the right order with varied transitions, attention-grabbing lead, and well-worked conclusion.
2. Create a short work wherein writer’s personality comes through in a special way and the writer’s voice is lively and confident.
3. Create a publishable work with a variety of strong and descriptive words that create vivid pictures in reader’s mind by replacing common words with sophisticated synonyms.
Teachers can use this to enhance the writing skills of the learners, especially the technique needed to gather information and plan to write a biography.
This Resource Includes:
1. Scaffolded Notes -
• Vocabulary Overview
• Biography and autobiography comparison
• Two Texts
• Sample Biography and Autobiography
• Biography Guide
• Biography Organizer
• Sample Biography
• 5 Biography Exercises
• Word-Bank: Adjectives, Adverbs, Connectives, Verbs
2. Real Life Application and Career Options of Biography
3. Teaching and Learning Activities/Strategies -
- Flipped Lesson Part - Video and Prezi
- Lesson Starter – Venn Diagram - Biography v/s Autobiography
- Success Criteria
- Lesson Development - Pair-Share, Mini-Plenary - Bio Cube
- Individual Task - Differentiation - 5 Tasks
4. Assessment Criteria
- Rubrics - Biography Writing
- Plenary - PEE Technique
- Skills - Social and Cognitive
5. Home Learning - 2 Online Interactive Exercises
For the PowerPoint Presentation of the same Lesson you may refer to:
BIOGRAPHY WRITING PRESENTATION
Here are some possible uses for these in your classroom:
✿ Early Finishers
✿ Sub Tubs
✿ ESL Stations/Centres
✿ Holiday Work
✿ Small Group Collaborations
✿ End of Unit Quick Assessments
This is what teachers say about these resources:
✎ DIALOGUE WRITING:
This was easy to use. It helped my students to review and fix the errors they were making in their writing. –Beth G.
✎ CAPITALIZATION RULES:
The perfect visual to help students remember to use capitalization while writing." – Mary Z.
✎ ACTIVE VERBS:
This is a great resource to include in the binders for future resources. - Patricia O.
✎ FICTIONAL STORY WRITING:
A great resource for students to practice writing during center. - Jamie S.
✎ NOUN PHRASES:
This product was helpful for my ELD students! – Rae E.
✎ PLAY-SCRIPT WRITING:
Can't wait to use this when I get back. Just love the approach to learning script writing skills. – Kathryn A.
Very excited about using this in my intensive reading classes. – Tammye G.
✎ PREPOSITIONS-10 RULES:
The handouts are perfect for students to use as a reference while writing. – Mary Z.
Great resource for first aid presentations. I'll be using this with my class. - Jackie Malley
✎ COMPOUND-COMPLEX SENTENCES:
These task cards were perfect test practice! - Michelle P.
✎ PUNCTUATION WORKSHEETS:
I found the variety of options to be useful,… I have used it to complement the areas of focus in my lessons. - Dianne P.
✎ SUJECT-VERB AGREEMENT:
I have used this resource several times already. –Jean C.
This is great. I can't wait to use it with my ESOL students. - Rebecca D.
✎ SEVEN AGES OF MAN:
This was perfect use of imagery and words. It helped even my weaker 6th graders understand the message of the poem and complete an activity on their own. - Amy B.
How to get TPT credit to use for future purchases:
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to log in). Beside each purchase, you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product.
Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases.
I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a FOLLOWER
. You will now receive email updates about this store. Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches.
Find Me Here:
o TPT Store - JOHN DSOUZA
o Pinterest - JOHN DSOUZA
o Facebook - TOMORROW’S CLASSROOM TODAY
o Instagram - JOHN421969
o Twitter - JOHN421969