WRITING JOURNAL “Wh” Prompts and DATA BUNDLE for Special Education and Autism*INCREDIBLE results for reading and comprehension!
*ENCOURAGES attention to key details AND writing responses!
*IMPLEMENTED in MY classroom ALL YEAR long with some of the most amazing growth in reading AND writing!
Reading comprehension and Journal Writing skills with “wh” symbol prompts are included in this writing journal. This writing journal includes 200 picture/reading passage pages and a writing worksheet.
Extremely effective as a reading and writing tool for students with autism, visual learners, and Special Education.
WHAT WILL I NEED?
• Regular printer paper
• OPTIONAL: Color Construction Paper
WHAT SKILLS WILL MY STUDENTS WORK ON?
• Reading comprehension
• Using Symbol Prompts to write one word to short phrase answers to find “who”, “where”, “what”, and “when” within each reading passage.
• Finding key details within text
• Highlighting key details within text
• Copy from a model
• Fine Motor skills
• Independent Work Skills
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THIS BUNDLE?
• This Bundle has 200 passages in all! You will have enough to provide your students with daily writing practice throughout the school year!
• FULL PAGE DATA SHEET COVER! This Data Sheet helps you record if your student was able to read the passage and prompt level required, as well as omissions and errors, if the student found the correct response to copy and write in the journal, and if he/she colors the picture within lines/appropriate colors.
• GUIDED TEACHER PROMPTS: You may use this script for each passage to ask students’ appropriate questions as they apply to the text. Each time a new set is uploaded, the GUIDED TEACHER PROMPTS will be added, too.
• Suggested IEP Goals to use, or to spark an idea to write your own.
HOW DOES THIS HELP MY STUDENT SHOW PROGRESS IN WRITING?
This Writing Journal for Beginners allows children to read easy text (K-2) and respond to the symbol prompt by looking for the word or words within the text to answer the “wh” prompts (who/where/what/when). Most students will copy the words or phrase, and that is exactly what they are supposed to do. This provides a golden opportunity for the child to build confidence in both reading and writing. Your students will also gain valuable practice forming letters and words with correct spacing.
HOW SHOULD I USE THIS IN MY CLASSROOM?
• Direct Instruction:
Use this method for one-on-one learning opportunities. This will allow you to monitor student progress, as it occurs, by recording missed words, etc.
• Independent Work:
As the student gains confidence in reading and locating the “wh” responses, you can track the responses to “wh” symbol prompt at a later time. Naturally, the marked responses are here to stay! You or your assistant can review the story and responses together with the student, later on. You may also record the data upon student completion.
SUGGESTED IEP GOALS: (More IEP Goals included with the product)
• FOR BEGINNERS OR INDEPENDENT READERS:
Given an instructional level reading passage, along with a picture depicting the person, place, or event, STUDENT will ______________(independently/with verbal or visual prompts) read and _________copy or write the correct word(s) to each “wh” symbol prompt (who/where/what/when), with 80% accuracy, in 4 out of 5 opportunities by MONTH, YEAR.
• FOR THOSE WITH LIMITED COMMUNICATION AND NON-READERS:
Given a reading passage read aloud by an adult, and a picture depicting the person, place, or event described in the passage, STUDENT will highlight and copy the correct word(s) in order to correctly write the correct “wh” response, with 80% accuracy, in 4 out of 5 opportunities, by MONTH, YEAR.
THIS IS A NEWLY RELEASED ITEM! PLEASE SEE ALL OF OUR READING COMPREHENSION ACTIVITIES HERE! READING COMPREHENSION ACTIVITIES from Autism Educators
Can I contact you with questions regarding this Writing Journal with “Wh” Symbols Bundle
Absolutely! You may leave a question for me in the Q & A section of my TpT store, Autism Educators, or send me an email at: DSinger@AutismEducators.com
***Thank you for supporting autism awareness by purchasing this product. Please enjoy with your students. ***
Copyright © AutismEducators.com. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited.
This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY. See product file for clip art credits.
Visit AutismEducators.com to view our FREE IEP GOAL BANK!
Find us on PINTEREST by clicking here!
Find us on FACEBOOK by clicking here!
Find us on INSTAGRAM by clicking here!